Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

It's the long-term rage against Miami Project ... whether that is earned or not ... I'm on the fence as far as that goes.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Who the hell is MP?
    LeT I think DA means these guys (and I have to admit I laughed a bit by his comment). http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/Page.aspx?pid=183

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Who the hell is MP?
    dang, im bleeding from biting into my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I must admit that the actor did extremely well to give an authentic portrayal of a lumbar level injury. His legs were quite atrophic. Of course, as people pointed out, he didn't have a cushion and his wheelchair design is circa 1999. The way he grabbed his pants to left his legs when transferring was quite real looking. Later, when he was crawling around, it looked quite authentic. In fact, I was wondering how they did that. They must have retouched the images digitally. I was impressed that they went to that much trouble to maintain his atrophy.

Wise.
    Wise, I read somewhere that he was shown on camera in his chair with prosthetic legs that were atrophied and his own legs were in fact tucked up under him sort of like in some sports chairs. I guess I will need to see it again (perhaps this weekend as my mother wants me to take her to see it).

(KLD)

gawd, 200 years in the future and wheelchairs are still needed.
    normally i would blast hollywood for giving comfort to the evil doctors and scientist.

however another hollywood movie trailer has the lead actor accusing scientist/doctors
    of curing in theory and not actually helping real people. so so true.

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    gawd, 200 years in the future and wheelchairs are still needed.
    normally i would blast hollywood for giving comfort to the evil doctors and scientist.
    Perhaps, but that isn't any of the main points to the film. We're focusing on the disabled character because we're disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Wise, I read somewhere that he was shown on camera in his chair with prosthetic legs that were atrophied and his own legs were in fact tucked up under him sort of like in some sports chairs. I guess I will need to see it again (perhaps this weekend as my mother wants me to take her to see it).

(KLD)
    Kathy, yes, Lynnifer first pointed that out. I wasn't aware of that when I saw the movie and didn't pay all that much attention to how he was sitting. It certainly was sufficient to fool me.

Just read the following review which made the following interesting points:
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/madaboutm..._movie-mo.html
    “Avatar” is a completely engaging cinematic experience, rendered in a 3-D more immersive by several factors than anything ever seen. And the quality of being inside something alien and unreal that the film affords isn’t a novelty slapped onto a slender story but rather the essence of the story and of the experience of it. It is a film about becoming something other than oneself and inhabiting a new world, and it comes closer than any movie has to imposing such a transformation on its audience.
    I agree with this assessment of the movie by Shawn Levy of the Oregonian. He points out that
    ...to praise the technical achievement of “Avatar” in this fashion isn’t to say that the film is an accomplished work of drama. Cameron’s script is often pedestrian in dialogue, familiar in plot, boyish in depth and complexity. We must remember, though, that writing is only one aspect of the cinema and that the notions of ‘character development’ and ‘story arcs’ and, indeed, plots and narratives themselves are arbitrary and subjective and, frankly, stolen by the movies from media that do them better (books and theater, obviously, but also radio drama, the nearest thing to cinema in many ways and far more reliant on story).
    In my opinion, this movie was an accomplishment of drama that surpasses any other movie of 2009 and probably of the decade. For all the criticism that has been directed at the "shallow" story, I thought that it was actually not so shallow and brought up a number of very difficult and complicated issues without falsifying or demeaning them. Levy goes on about these aspects of the movie's story and Jake Sully's character.

From the perspective of this site, I must say that I am in awe with the way that Cameron (both in his script and his direction of the movie) treated spinal cord injury. It was clear from the movie that Cameron sees spinal cord injury as a "condition" that imposes limitations on the body but not the soul. This is the exact opposite of the message given by Clint Eastwood's "Million dollar baby" which implies that spinal cord injury is a blight on the soul, to the extent that the hero of the movie helped the heroine with spinal cord injury kill herself.

The fact that Cameron paid attention to details such as atrophy of the legs and how Sully grabbed the pants to move his legs when transferring from his wheelchair, how he crawled around on the ground, and when he was in the alien body stopped to feel his toes wriggling in the dirt... that is what grabbed my respect for the Cameron. He cares and thinks about what it means to be spinal-injured.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Cameron donated and made a cure for spinal cord injury come true?

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I just re-read the article and cannot find where Avatar gets a mixed review. it seems that most people who saw it, including people with spinal cord injury, all seemed to feel that it portrayed spinal cord injury with sensitivity and accuracy. It was previous movies that did not. For example, I agree with Phil Klebine in the article that "Million Dollar Baby" was done with particular insensitivity to people with spinal cord injury and much inaccuracy concerning what spinal cord injury is all about.

In contrast, Avatar presented Sully as a real person who is not feeling unduly sorry for himself but clearly missing the part of him that the injury disabled. Even the part where he thought he thought his supervisor was being critical of him because he was spinal-injured was fairly authentic, in my opinion. But, the place where the movie really shone was its depiction of his expressions and feelings when he tranferred into the alien body. The toes curling in the dirt, the whoops when he ran, and eagerness to use his new body was very convincing. His joy when he was in his alter-body and his reluctance to leave his alter-body for his spinal-injured self was clear from his expression.

I must admit that the actor did extremely well to give an authentic portrayal of a lumbar level injury. His legs were quite atrophic. Of course, as people pointed out, he didn't have a cushion and his wheelchair design is circa 1999. The way he grabbed his pants to left his legs when transferring was quite real looking. Later, when he was crawling around, it looked quite authentic. In fact, I was wondering how they did that. They must have retouched the images digitally. I was impressed that they went to that much trouble to maintain his atrophy.

Wise.
    Hi DR Wise,

I like your comments on the movie. But how did you know that he had a lumbar injury? Was it told in the movie? I haven't watch the movie. How is it that he has a lumbar injury and cannot walk? How many people have lumbar injuries can walk and cannot walk? Do you know if he has bladder and bowerl functions, was it shown in the movie? Just curious. Finally how did he get the injury, was it in the war and by a fall or shot?

Weimin

Vatican says 'Avatar' is no masterpiece

VATICAN CITY – The Vatican newspaper and radio station have called the film "Avatar" simplistic, and criticized it for flirting with modern doctrines that promote the worship of nature as a substitute for religion.

L'Osservatore Romano and Vatican Radio dedicated ample coverage to James Cameron's big-grossing, 3-D spectacle. But the reviews were lukewarm, calling the movie superficial in its eco-message, despite groundbreaking visual effects.

L'Osservatore said the film "gets bogged down by a spiritualism linked to the worship of nature." Similarly, Vatican Radio said it "cleverly winks at all those pseudo-doctrines that turn ecology into the religion of the millennium."

"Nature is no longer a creation to defend, but a divinity to worship," the radio said.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said that while the movie reviews are just that — film criticism, with no theological weight — they do reflect Pope Benedict XVI's views on the dangers of turning nature into a "new divinity."

Benedict has often spoken about the need to protect the environment, earning the nickname of "green pope." But he has sometimes balanced that call with a warning against neo-paganism.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100112/...vatican_avatar