Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

  1. #1

    'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

    'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics
    Wheelchair Users Say Paraplegic Action Movie Character Inaccurate, but Uplifting
    By LAUREN COX
    ABC News Medical Unit
    Jan. 8, 2010

    Like others who flocked to see the blockbuster movie "Avatar," 26-year-old Santina Muha was thrilled by the visuals.
    But unlike the majority of people in the theatre, she wasn't just imagining life on the distant moon Pandora. She was vicariously living the fantasy of regaining the use of her legs.

    "The scene where the character goes from his wheelchair into his 'avatar,' where he's walking and playing basketball, it was really touching," said Muha, who had a spinal cord injury in a car accident at age 5.

    "It gave me chills," she said. "I'm a wheelchair user for 20 years; I can't even remember what it was likeā€¦just stretching his legs out like that. He must have just felt like it was the ultimate stretch."

    Audiences learn that the hero, Cpl. Jake Sully, lost the use of his legs while on duty as a Marine. Sully, played by able-bodied Sam Worthington, ends up on a mission to the lush moon of a distant planet where current technology gives his mind access to a cloned body of one of the local humanoid aliens, the Na'vi.

    The human-Na'vi interactions on Pandora have drawn criticism and praise for what some see as political undertones about conquest, environmentalism and war.

    But for Muha and others with spinal cord injuries, the movie's greatest statement was to feature a paraplegic lead character in an action movie.

    more...

    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ory?id=9505175

  2. #2
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    That's a great article to read - thanks for posting it!

    I disagree with the statement about his transferring and lifting his legs ... the 'link' was quite a bit higher than his chair and I remember thinking that would be an awkward transfer because of the height difference, even for me.

    I read on IMDB that the legs were prosthetics and he knelt in the chair ... I also disagree in that I *have* seen men with tiny legs like that ... not unusual.

    Let's hope in the future that thick cushions aren't needed ... lol. Yes, I did notice there was no cushion on the chair as well .. no one ever notices the cushion anyway.

    Otherwise, I agree with everything else said in the article ... it's refreshing to see 'us' portrayed this way. I totally agree that Million Dollar Baby was bad for us.

    The only thing I disagreed with Ms New Jersey (isn't she here at CC - quite beautiful!) is that I *would* choose to stay in another world away from family and friends in order to walk - even if I had to be blue! lol Personal choice though.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  3. #3
    I think what was most disturbing was the fact that they were in the year 2154 and they still had not figured out an effective treatment for the masses.

  4. #4
    Senior Member lunasicc42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lutz, Fl USA*********C456
    Posts
    2,309
    exactly
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

    "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by boda View Post
    I think what was most disturbing was the fact that they were in the year 2154 and they still had not figured out an effective treatment for the masses.
    It was fiction. I have great news for you: You won't be alive in 2154 and neither will I.


  6. #6
    I was hoping to hear a donation from James Cameron with all those billions they're making off it but all well lol
    Joe T.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by boda View Post
    I think what was most disturbing was the fact that they were in the year 2154 and they still had not figured out an effective treatment for the masses.
    Maybe not for the "masses", but there was an effective treatment available if one could pay for it. In fact, the corporal's commanding officer promised that he would pay for a treatment that would get the "use of his legs...his real legs" back if he underwent a successful completion of his mission.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That's a great article to read - thanks for posting it!

    I disagree with the statement about his transferring and lifting his legs ... the 'link' was quite a bit higher than his chair and I remember thinking that would be an awkward transfer because of the height difference, even for me.

    I read on IMDB that the legs were prosthetics and he knelt in the chair ... I also disagree in that I *have* seen men with tiny legs like that ... not unusual.

    Let's hope in the future that thick cushions aren't needed ... lol. Yes, I did notice there was no cushion on the chair as well .. no one ever notices the cushion anyway.

    Otherwise, I agree with everything else said in the article ... it's refreshing to see 'us' portrayed this way. I totally agree that Million Dollar Baby was bad for us.

    The only thing I disagreed with Ms New Jersey (isn't she here at CC - quite beautiful!) is that I *would* choose to stay in another world away from family and friends in order to walk - even if I had to be blue! lol Personal choice though.
    Lynnifer,

    Yes, Santina is on here, as well as facebook. She is wonderful.

    I liked Avatar quite a lot. Despite all the technological advances, the human limitations are still very much present. It is interesting that the story would choose to emphasize a soldier who was injured in battle but could not afford the therapy to walk again. The concept of transferring minds into another body seems to be the ultimate cure.

    Now that I have had some time to think about it, the concept of being able to see, feel, hear, and move another body is perhaps not so strange. After all, there is a whole generation of teenagers who have grown up on Nintendo WII and other games, spending many hours kicking, jumping, shooting, and otherwise smashing their way through armies of trolls.

    Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 01-10-2010 at 10:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member 0xSquidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    1,072
    Do you remember Minority Report (tom cruise)? There's a scene where he walks in some kinda store that offer you very special services.
    They attach some wires to people so people can live any experience they want to i.e. i remember kill their boss and another guy who wanted to be in a room full of people praising him and clapping.
    There's another reference, the Matrix movie.

    It wouldn't be physically impossible to achieve that... We're missing the "how" again here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Lynnifer,

    Yes, Santina is on here, as well as facebook. She is wonderful.

    I liked Avatar quite a lot. Despite all the technological advances, the human limitations are still very much present. It is interesting that the story would choose to emphasize a soldier who was injured in battle but could not afford the therapy to walk again. The concept of transferring minds into another body seems to be the ultimate cure.

    Now that I have had some time to think about it, the concept of being able to see, feel, hear, and move another body is perhaps not so strange. After all, there is a whole generation of teenagers who have grown up on Nintendo WII and other games, spending many hours kicking, jumping, shooting, and otherwise smashing their way through armies of trolls.

    Wise.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    ... The concept of transferring minds into another body seems to be the ultimate cure.

    Now that I have had some time to think about it, the concept of being able to see, feel, hear, and move another body is perhaps not so strange. After all, there is a whole generation of teenagers who have grown up on Nintendo WII and other games, spending many hours kicking, jumping, shooting, and otherwise smashing their way through armies of trolls.
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1959)
    A scientist's girlfriend is killed in a car crash. She is decapitated and he keeps her head alive while he hunts for a new body...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •