Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 'Avatar' Gets Mixed Praise From Paraplegics

Maybe James Cameron could be persuaded to part with some of that gross in aid of a cure, that film could gross a billion dollars or more.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Maybe James Cameron could be persuaded to part with some of that gross in aid of a cure, that film could gross a billion dollars or more.
    It has. In fact, the Worldwide gross as of this posting is $1,842,042,513. (Source: BoxOfficeMojo) It has already surpassed the worldwide gross for Titanic and it's still in the theaters!

The receipts are so eye-popping that it would be criminal for JC (coincidence?) not to fund a cure for paralysis. For Cameron's Sake fund the cure!!
    Last edited by stephen212; 01-26-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    If anybody can think of a movie that states that spinal cord injury is cured, it would be very useful to have a list of such movies.
    There was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Worf suffers a SCI and is eventually cured when the doctor essentially replaces his spinal cord with a new one. Can't remember if it was cloned or what.

C.

Currently on Lost, the character John Locke (just this week!) showed paralysis in the context of relationships, working, a broken down van, parking problems, airline travel, falling out in his front yard ... except that he was in an old clunker. Dr Jack Shepard (Matthew Fox) gave him his business card and when the character Locke said there was nothing that could be done for him; the doctor replied, "Nothing is impossible," in the episode from two weeks ago.

Gawd, could it be that the public might finally be getting exposed to it?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

You should really see the movie before forming a firm opinion as you have less than accurate second hand info. Not your fault. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ip View Post
    "1. I don't think that the movie gave the message that all people are the 'problem', only some people who are seeking to destroy it."

My understanding was that the aliens fought the humans, and that the aliens won.
    Some humans joined with the aliens to fight against some other humans. There was no absolute depiction of humans being the "problem." Not by any stretch.

"2. Nor did the movie suggest that the environment should be protected above people. It suggested that the environment should be protected from some people, who think that it is okay to destroy it."

My understanding was the mineral the humans were seeking was important to humans in some way.
    Yes, the mineral was very important to humans. And SOME of the humans felt that they could do whatever they wanted to another sapient species in order to acquire it. They could destroy an alien environment and, in the process, destroy an alien culture in order to acquire something that they desired. Some of the humans were willing to lie, steal and murder to get what they wanted. Hardly a far fetched concept.

"3. It did not say that paralysis is so bad that you have to dump your body to escape it. In fact, Jake Sully could and would have chosen the other route of curing his body by medical treatment, which was offered to him if he betrayed the Na'vis. It was only after he closed the door on that possibility that he took the other route."

From what I understand, Pandora is some sort of "paradise". But it's a false one, and especially for us paralyzed folk could be very damaging.
    How is Pandora a "false paradise?" And why would it be "damaging" for gimps? The only gimps that were likely to get there would be those that qualified for the avatar program.

Even healthy people have trouble dealing with it mentally: http://www.newsrecord.org/sections/e...dise-1.2134871
    You think those people were "healthy?" You just went from making comments about fictional people in a fictional world to condemning a fictional world for how some unstable, living people reacted to a MOVIE.

I worked building 3D worlds in software back in the day, and only after many years realized the goal is to create some sort of alternate reality in which humans have ultimate control, not God. I'm just not interested in that.
    Well, you'll be happy to learn that the god of the Na'vi, not the human beings in the movie, appeared to have control of Pandora. It was asserted that Eywa did not really take sides, but only sought balance.

Some of the Christians saints in years past would wear sack cloth, or heavy chains. This would totally ground them in reality, not some fantasy paradise.
    Extolling self-abuse in spirituality strikes me as very, very odd.

"4. Finally, avatar has four meanings. According to Mirriam-Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Avatar
    Quote:
    1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (as Vishnu)
    2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
    3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic entity
    4 : an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user (as in a computer game)
    Which one of these meanings do you find so offensive that you would not want to see the movie?"

Number 1. For me that violates the First Commandment.
    That whole "don't worship another god before me" thing? I can understand that, but do you also have a problem with the most common use of that term today? The one used on the internet?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    It has. In fact, the Worldwide gross as of this posting is $1,842,042,513. (Source: BoxOfficeMojo) It has already surpassed the worldwide gross for Titanic and it's still in the theaters!

The receipts are so eye-popping that it would be criminal for JC (coincidence?) not to fund a cure for paralysis. For Cameron's Sake fund the cure!!
    Lets start writing those letters, right about now he should be looking for a good cause for all that money thats rolling in. Heres his mail address

James Cameron
    Earthship Productions
    3806 Cross Creek Road
    Suite D
    Malibu, CA 90265-4975
    USA

OK, I finally saw it and it was all that, and more.

A little thing bothered me right near the beginning, then I tried to forget it, but I will post it here. Does anyone think that someone with an SCI would have trouble controlling the avatar? I have heard that the motor cortex gets "remapped," so one literally doesn't remember how to wiggle one's toes, etc.

Of course this depends on the number of years post, etc. Did any of you long-termers (!) have the same thought? Wise (so glad you loved this movie!)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    There was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Worf suffers a SCI and is eventually cured when the doctor essentially replaces his spinal cord with a new one. Can't remember if it was cloned or what.

C.
    Tiger, thanks. I remember that. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady View Post
    OK, I finally saw it and it was all that, and more.

A little thing bothered me right near the beginning, then I tried to forget it, but I will post it here. Does anyone think that someone with an SCI would have trouble controlling the avatar? I have heard that the motor cortex gets "remapped," so one literally doesn't remember how to wiggle one's toes, etc.

Of course this depends on the number of years post, etc. Did any of you long-termers (!) have the same thought? Wise (so glad you loved this movie!)?
    What a great and perceptive thought! Yes, indeed, the interface between the human and avatar gave me much to pause about. In addition to the question that you raised, i.e. that the brain structure changes with injury, there is the question of what happens to the avatar when control is withdrawn. Why can't the avatar act on its own?

The movie finessed these types of questions with great deftness, in my opinion. For example, they had the avatar going to sleep when the controller withdraws. It was very clear that the Na'vis and other sentient beings on Pandora have evolved their brains to be "mounted" by somebody. Maybe this was what allows the avatars to be created. Finally, the avatar is a mixture of human and Na'vi genes (hence the human-Na'vi avatar is five-toed but the Na'vi's are four-toed).

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady View Post
    Did any of you long-timers (!) have the same thought?
    I did! The first time he was in that capsule ... because I thought I remembered reading here, as well, that the brain changes with the loss of paralyzed limbs. I explained it away to myself that since technology is touching upon computer interface and 'thoughts' ... that's how it worked ... that he simply had to think about moving his legs, running, etc.

I was thinking about that very thing yesterday - thoughts and moving - and how far it would be from one controlling another through thoughts. Obviously I have too much time on my hands ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12