Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: interesting news about stem cell success by a Jordanian team

Quote Originally Posted by sam i am View Post
    Hello everyone,
    does anyone when exactly will the conference in Jordan will be held? I know it was supposed to be sometime in April, maybe end of April!
    Dr. Young, will you be attending? I heard from someone that there will be some important updates regarding the Jordanian therapy and other therapies as well.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you
    Yes, I am heading off to Amman today. The meeting will be held on April 27-30.

The IANR IV & 8th GCNN combined conference of the International Association of Neurorestoratology (IANR), Global College of Neuroprotection and Neuroregeneration (GCNN) (the European Society) and the American Society for Neural Therapy and Repair (ASNTR) will be held at Landmark Amman Hotel & Conference Center; April 27-30, 2011, Under the Patronage of Her Royal Highness Princess Basma Bint Talal.
    This International scientific event will facilitate researchers and clinicians from European, American, African and Asian countries to meet in Amman to discuss the recent advancements in neuronal regeneration, protection, and restoration. The conference will further allow discussions pertaining to the treatment of chronic neuronal problems using stem cells, laser, rehabilitation, and modified surgical methods.
    Additionally, the scientific program will include a session on the advancements of stem cell utilization in treatment of cancer and hematological malignancies, as well as research in other major health problems, including orthopedics, diabetes, cardiology, infertility and liver.
    Here is the scientific program
    http://jordan-valley.com/cms/wp-cont...ic-program.pdf

Stem cell treatment methods in Russia

Mr wise i have contacted the Neuro vita clinic of russia about their methods of cell harvesting and transplantation, as cell harvesting and transplantation safety is guaranteed could you please give us your opinion on the efficacy of the following methods they have sent me in treating SCI

We can guarantee our cell transfusions will not bring harm as none of our patients have experienced worsening of their state given the stem cell therapeutic methods.
    All the possible negative effects from the stem cell administration observed in some patients were headaches lasting not more than 1-2 days, developed as a result of increase of the fluid amount within a spinal canal after a stem cell transfusion. Usually patients didn't demonstrate any other major side-effects as stem cells being harvested are so-called autologous (patients' own) hematopoietic stem cells, harvested from the peripherral blood system after 4-days stimulation with the special CSF (colony-stimulating factor) medicine.

Depending on the results of a clinical examination the cells are taken either from peripheral blood system or from olfactory sheath of a nose or from both. The stem cells are applied within the framework of Medical Scientific Research Project "Cell Technologies for Medicine" of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences. The cells are applied largely in two ways: either conservative (non-surgical) approach consisting of intrathecal stem cell transfusions into the subarachnoid (lower back) space, from which stem cells are supposed to reach the targeted lesioned spots within the spinal canal, or the surgery with biodegradable polymer scaffold implantation. Based on the Clinic's experience most of the patients with thoracic (chest-level) traumas were eligible for conservative treatment. However, the most precise therapeutic tactis may be chosen only after reviewing the relevant medical reports and MRI scans.In accordance with the treatment protocol the whole program of stem cell engineering is designed for approximately 2-3 year term and it suggests that patients regulargly admit to the Clinic every 3-4 months for continuation of the stem cell therapy and rehabilitation as well as for control monitoring of their conditions

Peterf

Thanks Dr. Young, thanks for sharing this with us.

Can anyone attend? Or is it just the doctors and the researcher!

Taking your busy schedule into account, will it be possible to meet you?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmada View Post
    Thanks Dr. Young, thanks for sharing this with us.

Can anyone attend? Or is it just the doctors and the researcher!

Taking your busy schedule into account, will it be possible to meet you?
    Well, I am here... in the Landmark Amman Hotel. Speakers are arriving all day today and tomorrow. If you live in the area, I don't think that anybody will stop you from getting in the meeting. You can write to the conference organizers but many of friends in Italy, for example, have found that if they roll up to a meeting, they can often get in. Sure, I would be glad to meet you.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Mr wise i have contacted the Neuro vita clinic of russia about their methods of cell harvesting and transplantation, as cell harvesting and transplantation safety is guaranteed could you please give us your opinion on the efficacy of the following methods they have sent me in treating SCI

We can guarantee our cell transfusions will not bring harm as none of our patients have experienced worsening of their state given the stem cell therapeutic methods.
    All the possible negative effects from the stem cell administration observed in some patients were headaches lasting not more than 1-2 days, developed as a result of increase of the fluid amount within a spinal canal after a stem cell transfusion. Usually patients didn't demonstrate any other major side-effects as stem cells being harvested are so-called autologous (patients' own) hematopoietic stem cells, harvested from the peripherral blood system after 4-days stimulation with the special CSF (colony-stimulating factor) medicine.

Depending on the results of a clinical examination the cells are taken either from peripheral blood system or from olfactory sheath of a nose or from both. The stem cells are applied within the framework of Medical Scientific Research Project "Cell Technologies for Medicine" of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences. The cells are applied largely in two ways: either conservative (non-surgical) approach consisting of intrathecal stem cell transfusions into the subarachnoid (lower back) space, from which stem cells are supposed to reach the targeted lesioned spots within the spinal canal, or the surgery with biodegradable polymer scaffold implantation. Based on the Clinic's experience most of the patients with thoracic (chest-level) traumas were eligible for conservative treatment. However, the most precise therapeutic tactis may be chosen only after reviewing the relevant medical reports and MRI scans.In accordance with the treatment protocol the whole program of stem cell engineering is designed for approximately 2-3 year term and it suggests that patients regulargly admit to the Clinic every 3-4 months for continuation of the stem cell therapy and rehabilitation as well as for control monitoring of their conditions

Peterf
    Peterf,

I have been paying attention to the groups that are infusing bone marrow cells intrathecally. Although I am skeptical (because I don't believe that the cells get into the spinal cord...), there are investigators in my laboratory who believe that intrathecally injected cells will get into the spinal cord injury site.

Alok Sharma is a friend and he has done over 300 such injections in the past year or two. He believes that intrathecally injected bone marrow cells are helping his patients. It doesn't help all patients and I have seen several who have not shown any benefit. I have also met some people who say that they have improved since the therapy. A lot of doctors in India are critical and don't think that he should be charging for this therapy.

In my opinion, the Neurovita group is doing something that is quite similar to what Alok Sharma and X-cells in Cologne appear to be doing. None of the centers, to my knowledge, have the expertise or ability to study the cells that they are injecting. They may call it stem cells but really they are just bone marrow cells that have been isolated, possibly grown, and injected.

My current recommendation is that people should avoid Neurovita, Cologne, the Alok Sharma procedures until more convincing data from controlled clinical become available to show that the cells are beneficial. If any of these groups randomized the first 120 patients that they did to placebo control, they could/would have answered the question whether the treatment is beneficial or not.

Wise.

Hope to hear some encouraging news from you Wise in Jordan.

Neverthless all eyes in ur trial's success. May be there is possibility that Umbilical+lithium can help to lower injuries too.

Also waiting for ur announcement of upcoming trials for thoracolumbar injuries.

Have best time at Amaan.

Tks for your advise Mr wise
    Hope all goes well in Jordan

Peterf

Dr. Wise;

Another trip and another conference. I can't thank you or your family enough for the dedication and sacrifices you have made on behalf of the SCI community. Your passport must have jet lag.

My place is currently doing a study with a Stem Cell company. Results look promising, but it is too early to tell. Not all stem cell companies, stem cells, and techniques and procedures are the same.

Thanks for all informations Dr. Young and Dr. wise because very helpfully.
    "Nothing Incurable Diseases".