Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: interesting news about stem cell success by a Jordanian team

interesting news about stem cell success by a Jordanian team

some news from Jordan about success in treating spinal injury patients have attracted me, it's a new method which I found little information about. some info. are in Arabic, but I tried to gather some in English. this is from the www.sci-therapies.info web:

Dr. Adeeb Al-Zoubi and colleagues (Jordan) recently reported their experience transplanting purified stem cells into eight patients (6 males and 2 females) with complete thoracic level injuries. The stem cells were isolated from the blood of the patient (i.e., autologous) after treatment with granulocytic-colony-stimulating factor, a drug that promotes stem-cell production. On average, 51-million stem cells were implanted into the injury site’s cyst cavity or subarachinoid space (a space between the spinal-cord membranes filled with cerebrospinal fluid). After nine months of patient follow up, no adverse side effects were observed. Four patients demonstrated sensory improvement and two motor-function improvement.

but this is old in my consideration, because they are talking in the Arabic news that they have already tried the method with about one hundred patients.

the Jordanian team has attended the 2nd International Association of Neurorestoratology Annual Conference (IANRAC), in the summery of the conference, the following was stated:

Ziad. M. Al Zoubi (Jordan), together with Adeeb Al-Zoubi and Mohammed Jamoos, reported the treatment of spinal cord injuries using purified stem cells - Jordanian experience. This study presented a novel and safe method for purifying specific populations of SCs that could be used for treatment of patients with complete SCI that was safe for the patients and imposed no harm to them within the period of 5-16 months after SCT.

Dr wise was attending that conference, I hope he can give some deeper info. about the method in general, and about the safety claim made by the Jordanian team in special.

from seeing some of Dr al-Zoubi's short interviews in TV, I understood that one of the special things with his way is the use of magnetic method to purify the stem cells. In addition, they use the cells in a short time ( 4 hours ), which is claimed to be an important safety factor.

I summarized the main points of the recent Arabic news about the method:

1- the treatments were carried by a Jordanian team consisting of 35 members.
    2- the success rate for the treatment carried for a variety of disease ( blood caners, cardio, paraplegia etc. ) varied between 40% - 90%.
    3- the team made 30 alike operations, one of them was with a Jordanian female suffering from paraplegia, she is recovering and walking with two crutches, the cost varied between 10 and 40 thousands us dollars.
    4- Dr Zoubi said there results were better when compared with the results of similar trials made in other western and eastern countries.
    5- Dr Zoubi said they used magnetic isolation to isolate the stem cells and reinjecting it within 4 hours, using a German technology.
    6- Dr Zoubi said the method was demonstrated in many conferences, most recently in Beijing where it was named the best between 50 studies, and considered as the most applying to the international safety requirements. ( this needs confirmation from Dr wise please )

The Arabic news soure:

http://www.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/29983CBE-433F-4C7F-A77E-091F502BC709.htm

there is more info. I found in Arabic news dated in 2008, I'll try to write a summary about it later.
    Last edited by ttma; 01-09-2010 at 08:10 AM.

We will wait

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    We will wait
    thanks for commenting brother Jawaid

Very interesting - Thank you.

You are wel come brother. What is ur name and where are you from brother ttma? Are you SCI Patient too?

With love

Jawaid

Thanks Jawaid

my name is Tariq, I had incomplete sci, and i am originaly from Mecca, currently in Riyadh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    You are wel come brother. What is ur name and where are you from brother ttma? Are you SCI Patient too?

With love

Jawaid
    My name is Thomas - I'm a complete c5/c6 from Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by ttma View Post
    Thanks Jawaid

my name is Tariq, I had incomplete sci, and i am originaly from Mecca, currently in Riyadh.
    You had?

Quote Originally Posted by ttma View Post
    some news from Jordan about success in treating spinal injury patients have attracted me, it's a new method which I found little information about. some info. are in Arabic, but I tried to gather some in English. this is from the www.sci-therapies.info web:

Dr. Adeeb Al-Zoubi and colleagues (Jordan) recently reported their experience transplanting purified stem cells into eight patients (6 males and 2 females) with complete thoracic level injuries. The stem cells were isolated from the blood of the patient (i.e., autologous) after treatment with granulocytic-colony-stimulating factor, a drug that promotes stem-cell production. On average, 51-million stem cells were implanted into the injury site’s cyst cavity or subarachinoid space (a space between the spinal-cord membranes filled with cerebrospinal fluid). After nine months of patient follow up, no adverse side effects were observed. Four patients demonstrated sensory improvement and two motor-function improvement.

but this is old in my consideration, because they are talking in the Arabic news that they have already tried the method with about one hundred patients.

the Jordanian team has attended the 2nd International Association of Neurorestoratology Annual Conference (IANRAC), in the summery of the conference, the following was stated:

Ziad. M. Al Zoubi (Jordan), together with Adeeb Al-Zoubi and Mohammed Jamoos, reported the treatment of spinal cord injuries using purified stem cells - Jordanian experience. This study presented a novel and safe method for purifying specific populations of SCs that could be used for treatment of patients with complete SCI that was safe for the patients and imposed no harm to them within the period of 5-16 months after SCT.

Dr wise was attending that conference, I hope he can give some deeper info. about the method in general, and about the safety claim made by the Jordanian team in special.

from seeing some of Dr al-Zoubi's short interviews in TV, I understood that one of the special things with his way is the use of magnetic method to purify the stem cells. In addition, they use the cells in a short time ( 4 hours ), which is claimed to be an important safety factor.

I summarized the main points of the recent Arabic news about the method:

1- the treatments were carried by a Jordanian team consisting of 35 members.
    2- the success rate for the treatment carried for a variety of disease ( blood caners, cardio, paraplegia etc. ) varied between 40% - 90%.
    3- the team made 30 alike operations, one of them was with a Jordanian female suffering from paraplegia, she is recovering and walking with two crutches, the cost varied between 10 and 40 thousands us dollars.
    4- Dr Zoubi said there results were better when compared with the results of similar trials made in other western and eastern countries.
    5- Dr Zoubi said they used magnetic isolation to isolate the stem cells and reinjecting it within 4 hours, using a German technology.
    6- Dr Zoubi said the method was demonstrated in many conferences, most recently in Beijing where it was named the best between 50 studies, and considered as the most applying to the international safety requirements. ( this needs confirmation from Dr wise please )

The Arabic news soure:

http://www.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/29983CBE-433F-4C7F-A77E-091F502BC709.htm

there is more info. I found in Arabic news dated in 2008, I'll try to write a summary about it later.
    I did meet this doctor at the Neurorestorology meeting in Beijing. They presented data on some patients that received peripheral blood CD34+ cells transplants. I believe that the device that they used to collect such cells from the peripheral blood after stimulating their production with GCSF is called CliniMACS made by Amcell Corporation. This is an FDA approved device and a person just sits plugged into this machine for about 6 hours while it sorts through all the blood of the patient for CD35+ cells. GCSF markedly increases the number of these cells in peripheral blood and the cells are obviously matched to the person. It is expensive. Each cassette on this machine costs about $22,000, I believe. In any case, there has been at least one clinical trial of CD34+ cells obtained from this approach for stroke in Taiwan (Professor Shinn-Zong [John] Lin at the China Medical University).

In fact, I am hoping to visit Jordan sometime to learn more about what they are doing and how the patients are doing. I think that this is a very interesting and important approach to treating spinal cord injury.

Wise.

I am happy that you commented positively on this Dr. Young. I'm trying to reach Dr. zoubi to get more information. I have a friend in Jordan who investigated a little bit about the doctor and the therapy. He called the relevant society and the ministry of health in Jordan and apparently he and his team are the only ones who are accredited and hold a license to work on spinal cord surgery and therapy in the arab world.
    I hope that you can make a visit there very soon to meet the patients and learn about the therapy.

Thank you