Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can pain cause a fever??

Question Can pain cause a fever??

I was just wondering if extreme pain can cause a fever? I have checked my whole body for sores or other possible infective looking area. I also have no uti symptoms so not thinking its that. Is there something I am overlooking/forgetting that should be obvioys?? Thanks!

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Do you just feel warm or have you in fact checked your temperature? To answer your question: No. A fever is the body's immune system reaction to an infection, not mere pain. You may be experiencing hyperthermia. If you have fever, you likely have an infection you're unaware of at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever

You could be experiencing hyperthermia from the environment. I don't know what your level of injury is, but that could be the cause. Then your body temp ill go up.
    Have you taken your temperature?

CKF

My injury is T11-12. Yes last night it was 101.7. I took tylenol. This morning it is 101.1. I took tylenol this morning too.

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

Beckers, that's an awful bad fever, and I'm concerned that's it's staying above 101 even after you take Tylenol and staying with you for this long.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but you need to see your doctor and, at a minimum, get blood work done to see what your white blood cell count is and figure out what's going on.

Do you feel unwell, too?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

when i was at the er for my pain they ran bloodwork and nothing was mentioned.
    I feel like complete crap but not sure if its the pain, the fever or both because i have felt like crap with the pain too.

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    when i was at the er for my pain they ran bloodwork and nothing was mentioned.
    I feel like complete crap but not sure if its the pain, the fever or both because i have felt like crap with the pain too.

Becky
    Becky, how long ago was this blood test done? And when did the fever begin? When admitted in the hospital, they take blood work daily to check the white blood cell count. When you had your blood work done, they may not have checked your count or it may not have risen yet to alarm anyone. You may have an oncoming infection that is increasingly getting worse.

I was in the er last night. My white count was around 14,000 ( not an exact #)..
    Thats just lovely . I really dont have time for this now .

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

Certain medications can also affect your thermoregulation, what medication are you on?
    Daniel

Becks, my understanding from when I was in the hospital for simultaneous cases of pnuemonia and pertussis (whooping cough) is that any WBC count over 11,000 signals infection.

So Sorry, sweetie, but you need to get to a doctor who can help you determine the source and get this treated.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar