Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can a private company make a profit out of a cure for chronic SCI?

Can a private company make a profit out of a cure for chronic SCI?

I am trying to find good reasons to convince a private company to put money into chronic SCI cure so I wonder:

1) Can a private company make a profit out of a cure for chronic SCI?
    2) Who can make a profit out of a cure for chronic SCI? Just health care sistem?
    3) Why should a private company put money into a cure for chronic SCI? If not for profit social responsability? Image return?

Yes, they can. That's why they're in the game. If there were no profit to be made, no private companies would be researching and developing cures for sci.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I remember someone saying (it could have been wise, but I could be mistaken ), that the sci problem is a relatively small problem to get into. Money-wise. I can see that
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

The answer would be no. Because almost all Doctors are to afraid to risk the (probable) failure at first. They would rather continue treating rats, because it's easier to keep them quiet. Oh, and plenty of writing papers for peer review (that consumes alot of time during the day). Then travel to symposiums during the year, state (sci cell therapy) progress is being made. Throw arms up in the air, say financing is just to difficult. Compliment other Scientists on their papers and peer review(s) (wink at each other). Go back home.

Begin each New Year and do it all again. After 30 or 40 years retire to Florida and play shuffle board.

Get my point?

Quote Originally Posted by chasb View Post

The answer would be no. Because almost all Doctors are to afraid to risk the (probable) failure at first. They would rather continue treating rats, because it's easier to keep them quiet. Oh, and plenty of writing papers for peer review (that consumes alot of time during the day). Then travel to symposiums during the year, state (sci cell therapy) progress is being made. Throw arms up in the air, say financing is just to difficult. Compliment other Scientists on their papers and peer review(s) (wink at each other). Go back home.

Begin each New Year and do it all again. After 30 or 40 years retire to Florida and play shuffle board.

Get my point?
    Yes, I know the game.... I am looking for a way out of this loop...

InVivo sure plans to, but not just off sci
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Making money solely on a cure for chronic SCI would be difficult if not impossible. Geron is a public company that plans to make money on stem cell work that hopes to benefit acute SCI. At the same time, they are working on stem cell therapies for other things like cancer. Focusing strictly on chronic SCI would not be profitable.
    KB

depends on the type of cure. a 1 time cure, no. this is our problem right now.
    can GE make a light bulb that last, YES. Will they, heck no.
    can science find a cure for sci, yes, already knows how to cure sci. will the majority
    allow its release, heck no. so what will they allow? for example they will allow a pill
    taken twice a day to temporary cure sci. but once someone stop taking this pill, he/she
    will become paraylzed again. this is what they did with AIDS. take your AIDS pills and you will live. stop taking the pills, you die. mr charlie is getting very wealthy on the backs of the AIDS suffers.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb View Post

The answer would be no.
    Wrong. Offer 1 million chronics a cure at $ 8,684.00 and that company will book $8,684,000,000.00 in sales. Yeah, that's 8 billion 684 million.

I am sure there are more than 1 million chronics worldwide who could afford that. Hell, my insurance co. would pay 4X that!

Get my point?
    Yup, you're a cynic.
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    depends on the type of cure. a 1 time cure, no. this is our problem right now.
    can GE make a light bulb that last, YES. Will they, heck no.
    can science find a cure for sci, yes, already knows how to cure sci. will the majority
    allow its release, heck no. so what will they allow? for example they will allow a pill
    taken twice a day to temporary cure sci. but once someone stop taking this pill, he/she
    will become paraylzed again. this is what they did with AIDS. take your AIDS pills and you will live. stop taking the pills, you die. mr charlie is getting very wealthy on the backs of the AIDS suffers.
    Here is a way I look at it.
    The cure is like a cake and many will get a part of it (big parma, rehab centers, hospitals, doctors). If we had a cure for SCI I'm not sure everyone gets a slice big enough to be happy. But consider that a cure for SCI will probaly be a cure also for other things like TBI etc. That makes the cake bigger.

This is just a theory, can we prove that investing in SCI cure is also the perfect "entry gate" for the whole CNS???