Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Use Cessation and SCI

I have referenced this Wikipedia site before on electronic cigarettes. The jury is out on the long term effects. Not enough studies have been completed. I think the interesting part is the nicotine content (below) taken from this reference.
    Liquid
    Liquids used to produce vapor in electronic cigarettes are widely sold both as separate bottled products, for use with refillable cartridges and as pre-filled disposable cartridges. Bottled liquid is sold under a variety of names, including "e–liquid", "e-juice", and "nicotine solution".
    Contents of liquid solutions vary, but their common aspects include water and flavorings in a propylene glycol or glycerin base. Nicotine is also included in solutions intended to fulfil a nicotine replacement role. Whole Tobacco Alkaloids (WTA) have recently been introduced into e–liquids. Some users find that e-liquids with WTA provide an experience that more closely resembles smoking than e-liquids that do not contain the additives. Whole Tobacco Alkaloids are produced in a process similar to that used to purify nicotine in general.
    E-liquid vendors are becoming more common in The United States as consumers push for American made varieties.

Nicotine
    Liquid solutions containing nicotine are available in differing nicotine concentrations to suit user preference. Dosing nomenclatures are not standardized and vary by manufacturer, but tend towards the following rough figures:

• Liquids said to contain "low" doses of nicotine tend to correspond to a nicotine concentration of between 6 - 9 mg/ml (milligrams of nicotine per milliliter of liquid).
    • "Midrange" or "medium" doses tend to correspond to a nicotine concentration of 10–17 mg/ml.
    • "High" doses tend to correspond to a nicotine concentration of aprox 18–22 mg/ml.
    • "Extra-high" doses tend to correspond to a nicotine concentration of 24–36 mg/ml.

Actual numerical nicotine concentration ratings are usually printed on liquid containers or cartridge packaging. Often, the standard notation "mg/ml" is shortened to a simple "mg".[9] Nicotine-free solutions are also a widely offered option.

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-04-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: adding initials

I have never smoked but have chewed snuff since I was 12 if my math is correct that's 38yrs I have tried gum etc.etc. made if once. For 6 months. nurse confiscated my can while in hospital broken back & pelvis I still found way to retrieve my spare can out my pants... thinking I want try & quit just plain tired of it if I am awake I have a chew in my lip (yes even when I eat) the fun is gone.

I have smoked for many... years,but a few months ago my hands started going numb and in the middle of the night my arms were falling asleep.I quit a few weeks ago and the numbness is slowly going away.I miss them like crazy!!!on the other had I feel alot better and don't worry about a stroke so much.Bieing a quad is HARD,but being a quad that had a stroke would be HORRIBLE!!!
    Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I have never smoked but have chewed snuff since I was 12 if my math is correct that's 38yrs I have tried gum etc.etc. made if once. For 6 months. nurse confiscated my can while in hospital broken back & pelvis I still found way to retrieve my spare can out my pants... thinking I want try & quit just plain tired of it if I am awake I have a chew in my lip (yes even when I eat) the fun is gone.
    You can do this! My Dad quit 2 packs a day at the age of 74. It has been 6 years now and he's never gone back. Talk to your doctor about any help you can get in your area. And after about 2 weeks, if you can, make an appointment to get your teeth cleaned. It helped me after I quit after smoking for 16 years off and on. And ask your dentist to take a good look around in there and let him know how long you chewed. At least with chewing you won't need to get all your carpets, curtains and furniture cleaned to get rid of the smell. Good luck!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I used to be a pack a day smoker back when I was 20-27ish. At that point, I eventually decided - time to quit. My lungs were unhappy, as was my doctor. For me, what really made it possible was switching to electronic cigarettes. I'd tried with the nicotine patch and also with gum with little success. I love nicotine. It's a hugely effective stimulant that has simultaneous depressive effects, and it helps me focus like nothing else (short of ritalin, which I haven't had a prescription for since I was 25).

Cue electronic cigarettes - they work well for me. It delivers nicotine the same way as a cigarette: straight into the bloodstream in the quantities I like, it's much cheaper than a Marlboro, and it doesn't smell. My lungs are much happier, and my brain still gets the stimulants it wants. I wholeheartedly can recommend ecigs as a way to quit real smoke, though you need 'good' equipment in order for it to truly replace smoking. The disposable e-cigarettes that you can pick up at convenience stores are just weak sauce. Any e-cigarette system with disposable cartridges is equally 'weak' - it's not strong enough to replace a real cigarette. There's the mid-range and higher end ones - the ones where you have to fill it with liquid/juice yourself. Those are the ones that will help somebody to quit...

I'm super happy that I've done this. Huge help to my mental health and physical health to have switched.
    Andria - T6/7 Transverse Myelitis - My Chariots: Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion | 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1

e-cigarettes are just as bad for you (due to the nicotine) as regular cigarettes, just with less of the tar that you get with cigarettes. The nicotine is responsible for the cardiovascular damage from smoking, as well as the chemical of smoking that significantly increases your risks for pressure ulcers if you have a SCI.

More and more evidence is coming out about this, and e-cigarettes are now being banned for use in most areas that prohibit smoking (such as hospitals, restaurants, etc.).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20057776

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4323231.html

http://www.fhcrc.org/en/news/center-...ig-debate.html

(KLD)

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by bethanyjoy1 View Post
    I was wondering if my quitting smoking could have been a factor in causing the spinal stroke I had in December 2009?
    Risk of stroke starts to go down when you stop, but not to zero. If you had quit sooner may have avoided it.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by zepac View Post
    What bad can pot do?
    Lots if you smoke it. Heating it makes it more mind bending. Not heating it makes it mellow and medicine.

Living without on junk pharma as illegal and out of touch with supplier.

Anything can be addicting smoking tobacco, pot, crack cocaine whatever.
    Until the studies come out that says what pot is recommended for and not....I'm not a fan
    Ive seen it help people in hospice with nausea, the edibles but even the doctor who recommended it didn't know how much to recommend to the family/ patient. I had a patient who was totally addicted, angry, mean, used it to help with his social anxiety and total escapism.

pbr

So using chewing tobacco for two hours a day is too much for a quad?

It just seems everything has been taken away from me already..
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"