Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Use Cessation and SCI

I had to fight with the Doc for an MRI.................I won! I'm getting one in March.
    Today is very bad day, no sleep at all, pain in my legs is almost unbearable, had a lot of trouble just getting on & off the toilet & getting in & out of the shower.
    I pride myself on being a very strong person, however lately I'm just tired of being strong!

i'm sorry KLD and y'all non smokers, but smoking is one of the few pleasures i still have and can enjoy. i don't cough nor do i get shot of breath. i guess i am just a hard core smoker that hides under a cloud of smoke and is not about to give up her pleasure for more ys of life.

sorry!

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

I'm a new person on the block on this forum. I clicked on this message because...I was wondering if my quitting smoking could have been a factor in causing the spinal stroke I had in December 2009? Of course, no medical professional will say that quitting actually led to a spinal stroke... That would be contrary to everything they say about the bad effects of smoking.

I find it really interesting, though, that I joined a gym, started working out, quit smoking, then this spinal stroke occurs. I was in fairly good health before this, albeit needing improvement in physical stamina and strength, which is why I joined the gym and quit smoking in the first place.

Almost makes me want to turn back the hands of time and not join the gym, not quit smoking, see if this malady would have still hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    i'm sorry KLD and y'all non smokers, but smoking is one of the few pleasures i still have and can enjoy. i don't cough nor do i get shot of breath. i guess i am just a hard core smoker that hides under a cloud of smoke and is not about to give up her pleasure for more ys of life.

sorry!

lola
    This is all true. Im a c4-c5 myself too and i damn love golden Camel cigs Im sure its hard on our lungs(esp at my and your level or injury where lungs are bit weaker), but screw that. It really is one of the few things i can really enjoy. It gives me more than it takes. And if i die bc of smoking then so be it, being dead cant be worse than SCI

Its bullc* Waste of your time.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zepac View Post
    This is all true. Im a c4-c5 myself too and i damn love golden Camel cigs Im sure its hard on our lungs(esp at my and your level or injury where lungs are bit weaker), but screw that. It really is one of the few things i can really enjoy. It gives me more than it takes. And if i die bc of smoking then so be it, being dead cant be worse than SCI
    amen, zepac!!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

I loved smoking starting when a young teen. I had pneumonia several times after becoming a quad at 16 .Competed in track and lit up. Got in my car and lit up. Smoked lots when Mother visited. Quit at 45 and at 47 caught the virilant flu and brought the new mellinum on a vent. It took 3mos to get off it. I then got that blood clot in my lung. Ended up w/ a trach and it took a year to be free. The most frightening thing thing ever is being unable to breathe.
    I sometimes wake up reaching for my cigarettes. I can hardly spend any length of time w/ Mother but know I love her, she'll soon turn 80. Strange. I won't go anywhere there is smoke after the trach deal but still crave nicotine over 10yrs after quitting.

Well I had started smoking when I was in junior high at about 13 smoked until I was in my 30s then quit for 7 years and picked it up one day just like I had never even stopped smoking and even smoked more I think . Then about 4-5 months ago a friend of mine was going to the quit smoking clinic that the hospital is doing by using the money from the cigarette lawsuit that helped make smokes 5 bucks a pack, So I went to the course , it takes 6 weeks but it is free from the hospital and they give you all of the patches ,gum ,losenges, mints all the stuff out on the market for free. But you have to go to the meetings they give you a 1 week supply at a time.But ehen you finish the course they give you 6 weeks worth and a voucher from the health dept to get more stuff if you need it.The first time I quit it was cold turkey and it was hell for me and anyone around me , but this time with all of the stuff they give you it was not too bad but I do have to say you have to want to quit or dont even go and waste you time going. I did quit and have been smoke free for about 5 months now and have not missed it and am saving almost ten bucks a day , But the bad part is the person who I went with did not quit and he has been through the course 2 times , but he does not want to quit, He even went in the meeting telling the teacher that he likes to smoke ..
    But I think ALL citties have these free programs now just check with your local hospitals or clinics.Or go online in your state for quiting smoking.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Well I had started smoking when I was in junior high at about 13 smoked until I was in my 30s then quit for 7 years and picked it up one day just like I had never even stopped smoking and even smoked more I think . Then about 4-5 months ago a friend of mine was going to the quit smoking clinic that the hospital is doing by using the money from the cigarette lawsuit that helped make smokes 5 bucks a pack, So I went to the course , it takes 6 weeks but it is free from the hospital and they give you all of the patches ,gum ,losenges, mints all the stuff out on the market for free. But you have to go to the meetings they give you a 1 week supply at a time.But ehen you finish the course they give you 6 weeks worth and a voucher from the health dept to get more stuff if you need it.The first time I quit it was cold turkey and it was hell for me and anyone around me , but this time with all of the stuff they give you it was not too bad but I do have to say you have to want to quit or dont even go and waste you time going. I did quit and have been smoke free for about 5 months now and have not missed it and am saving almost ten bucks a day , But the bad part is the person who I went with did not quit and he has been through the course 2 times , but he does not want to quit, He even went in the meeting telling the teacher that he likes to smoke ..
    But I think ALL citties have these free programs now just check with your local hospitals or clinics.Or go online in your state for quiting smoking.
    Gary
    im gonna have to check into that here in so. ga.

i know when im in the hospital they give me the patch and i dont think of smoking at all.

I'm officially a non-smoker, you just have to decide to do it. Luckily I'm super stubborn and went cold turkey after my doctor told me to quit when my birth control tried to take me out last year.

I will admit I was never a heavy smoker, and couldn't imagine getting anywhere close to a pack a day (where do you guys find the time??) but it's so nice to smell good and not worry about all the side effects for a few cancer sticks a day (wrinkles, teeth whitening, smokers breath etc)
    An administrator made me remove my signature.