Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Use Cessation and SCI

I smoked for about 30 years and I quit smoking cold turkey in 1993. After three days, my wife noted the "rattling" had gone from my chest while I was sleeping. I could also take a deep breath with no pain nor coughing. I thought of smoking for a while and even liked being around people smoking as it smelled good. After a couple of months, people smoking really irritated my sinuses. Now, if anyone smokes, I can smell the pungent odor of their breath and clothing across the room.

I swore I would never harass anyone who smokes and I still abide by that today. There's enough information available about smoking without my adding any warnings.

I will encourage anyone to stop smoking that wants and can guarantee only one thing: "It won't be easy but it'll be worth it!"

Good luck,

Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

recently a close friend had to have some skin grafts. I learned from the surgeon, that a person who smokes, more so for the male than female smoker, skin grafts and skin flaps, do not work as well if you smoke. healing of the skin for a tobacco smoker is not very good as a rule according to what I learn from a plastic surgeon.

I quit almost 32 years ago and at that time I thought I felt good, can't imagine what my life would be like now. My dad was a 3 pack a day smoker, I wish I knew what the doc told him but he quit overnight. You can do anything you set your mind to!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    recently a close friend had to have some skin grafts. I learned from the surgeon, that a person who smokes, more so for the male than female smoker, skin grafts and skin flaps, do not work as well if you smoke. healing of the skin for a tobacco smoker is not very good as a rule according to what I learn from a plastic surgeon.
    You are right, Jody. Our plastic surgeon will not even consider doing a flap if you have not stopped tobacco product use for at least 4 weeks, and promise to remain tobacco free for the duration of the healing. Of course the 6-8 weeks of bedrest on our SCI unit (no smoking) after a flap makes this sort of automatic. Nicotine patches and gum are not allowed as medication since that causes the same vasoconstriction that smoking does.

(KLD)

I had to quit smoking five years ago to get a skin graft done and I haven't started back up at all. It's been really nice not having to worry about smelling nasty or being able to afford it, especially considering the price of cigarettes to safe. I don't miss it at all
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Question any ideas?

I'm new comer to this site. SCI 26 yrs ago C5-6 Incomplete Quad. Started smoking a few months after the halo came off. My spasms didn't throw me outta bed when I started smoking. I Quit almost a year ago for the obvious reasons of my health. However for the past year I have really bad pain & spasms from the knees down, Doc says it's neru pain (which I never had before) I asked if it was because I quit smoking? Doc says no!
    I don't believe everthing my Doc says, this Doc has put my health at risk a few times over the years any learned very early you have to also be your own Doc.
    I have had to go off work and I love my job, not sleeping cause of the pain, had to start drugs (baclofen), haven't been taking hardly any since injured (very lucky) I just don't like being physically weak from the drugs.
    I guess I'm asking if anyone else has experienced this so many yrs after their injury? Any ideas from anyone out there? I want my life back!!!

I'm working on it. Altho living an extra ten years in this body isn't exactly ideal either. lol

Puddels, all evidence is that smoking makes neuropathic pain worse, so I would suspect that it is just a coincidence that your neuropathic pain started at the same time you stopped smoking. What are you doing for your pain and spasticity now? Meds? Stretching? Standing? Exercise? Baclofen is a poor drug for neuropathic pain, but can help many with spasticity.

(KLD)

KLD......Thanks for responding!. I'm seeing a neruphysio, kinesiologist, massage therapist. I also do some leg work (lifting & pushing with assistance from the the therapists. I do tons of stretching both at home & with the therapist, cycling on a power assist bike up to 12 mins now increasing by the week. I take baclofen only at night, I've never been comfortable taking meds I would rather alternate therapys. I'm open to any suggestions, just want to get back to my job & my life!
    Any idea why this pain would start after 26 yrs post injury, have you come across this before?
    Thanks again for responding!!!!
    Last edited by puddels; 01-23-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Unfortunately, it is fairly common for neuropathic pain to worsen with aging in SCI, but if this is completely new, and the suddenly increased spasticity is new, I would at least want to rule out a syrinx as the cause. Don't you have a physician? Generally a physiatrist or neurologist would need to order an MRI to evaluate you for a possible syrinx.

(KLD)