Thread: Suppository in Stoma

Suppository in Stoma

Would it be safe to insert a suppository or enmeez in a
    sigmoid stoma. Is it safe to use one long term. My bowls
    move to slow or not at all unless I use laxatives or take linzess.

Hi Julian. I am no expert but I have had my issues prior and post my disability.
    What is your diet like? Not specific, just general and do you graze, glutton, regular or all over the 24 hours. Is stress a constant?

I try to avoid laxatives and most pharmaceutical remedies whenever possible.

Yes, you can insert a suppository through the stoma, and also irrigate (equal to an enema). My concern would be that with such a low colostomy, that you may have a significant problem with megacolon or other non-motile colon above your ostomy. Have you had a motility test? Are you taking enough fiber in your diet? Using a stool softener? Laxatives?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've inserted a suppository in my stoma but it was expelled before melting. An ostomy nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in, but I've been reluctant to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    I've inserted a suppository in my stoma but it was expelled before melting. An ostomy nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in, but I've been reluctant to try that.
    What kind of suppository?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What kind of suppository?(KLD)
    a dulcolax suppository.

Did you try a Magic Bullet? Melts faster, and more bioavailability.

(KLD)

Not since my colostomy, they were too irritating before. maybe via the stoma will be more tolerable.