Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Tobacco Use Cessation and SCI

Any use of tobacco products is bad for you, regardless if you have a SCI or not. Chewing tobacco and snuff use is highly correlated with oral and throat cancer (baseball great Tony Gwynn died from this...he regretted chewing during his career and worked hard to get the word out as he was dying). Nicotine, in any form, constricts your blood vessels in your heart and skin as well, and makes you more likely to have pressure ulcers. So this includes smoking, chewing, dipping, and vaping.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Any use of tobacco products is bad for you, regardless if you have a SCI or not. Chewing tobacco and snuff use is highly correlated with oral and throat cancer (baseball great Tony Gwynn died from this...he regretted chewing during his career and worked hard to get the word out as he was dying). Nicotine, in any form, constricts your blood vessels in your heart and skin as well, and makes you more likely to have pressure ulcers. So this includes smoking, chewing, dipping, and vaping.

(KLD)
    Okay thanks for the reply. I guess, another thing bites the dust.
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

I regret smoking more than my 1 and a half nelson. That is I never completed the half kids, busted C5. Anyway I started in H.S. at 16 to be cool. I kinda quit in 2000, just sneaked 1 here and there. 1 a month.
    Well as it is now my chance of ever having cigarette again are as likely as walking.

One month ago my mom who had a few intestinal surgeries to improve blood flow came out of the last one that changed her life.
    I went to the hospital to visit her and she was smoking a straw. She was thinking it was a cigarette. I ask the nurse what meds was she on. Well none that would cause this behavior. She knew who I was but wasn't making sense. We had hoped it was from the long ambulance ride or a UTI. Well unfortunately she now has Vascular dementia and will be living in this shit hole nursing home the rest of her life. She's smoked since a teen and is 78 years old. I am devastated. This is just terrible. She had a good life line. Her dad was 88 and mom 92 when they passed away. I believe in 50 years smoking should be almost non existent.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger