Thread: Taking Lyrica within first six months of injury

Taking Lyrica within first six months of injury

I have a question for Dr. Young and the SCI nurses, and I couldn't seem to find this in the other threads regarding Lyrica. Is there any research related to the effect of taking Lyrica on motor recovery during the first year after spinal cord injury? From what the doctor explained to me, the mechanism of action for Lyrica is not fully understood. Beyond the effect on nerve pain, is anything known about the effect on recovery and on nerve signals for voluntary motion?

Thanks

Not that I know of. We usually try gabapentin (Neurontin) first though, as where I work we cannot get Lyrica unless we have failed with Neurontin first. Since many people have neuropathic pain very early post injuries, and those are the first line drugs for that, we don't hesitate to use it to provide some relief and hopefully improve the quality of life for our clients.

(KLD)

I was Lyrica 150 mg. three times a day for six months. I took it with four 800 mg of Neurotin a day. They added the Lyrica with the Neurotin to see if it would help. It did not help at all. All of these medications will make you tired and run down. I don;'t know what to say except experiment with your doctor. That is what mine did and we found out that neither are helping the nerve pain. I did just get some Boi-freeze from a local chiropractor. Someone on the threads was talking about it. It really does help a slight bit. It has no side effects . I wish you well and pain free.

I was on Neurontin on day 1 post surgery and it worked great for about 2 months. Then it stopped working so I switched to Lyrica for 2 months. Then my nerve pain went away pretty much on its own. My motor coordination is doing just fine. Good luck to you!
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135