Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tragic accident

the video on the 1st link, shows at least 1 wheelchair, the one newpaper article mentioned wheelchairs. I don't think it all has to do with straps around the wheelchair, the driver was also killed.

Im a bus driver, so this was really hard for me to hear Its a HUGE fear of mine.
    I dont know why the schools make the decisions they make and put drivers and students at risk. This is a horrible story. I hope the families here find some comfort

exactly, I am a group home worker who transports & this has been a fear of mine. I don't understand, why do they even have to go, if there is slightest chance of this happening. Especially when it was in the forecast.

From what I seen, the storm was predicted to be bad. And even if it wasn't, isn't it better to side with a mistake in judgement, keep them off the roads & say we made the best educated guess and not subject you to this. The next day, or the next when the forecast improves, would be when they go. Isn't this how our fragile elderly are treated???

Those places have snow days just like schools. I have a friend works at a place like that in pa, and if the schools are called for a snow day, so are the workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by leeshore View Post
    exactly, I am a group home worker who transports & this has been a fear of mine. I don't understand, why do they even have to go, if there is slightest chance of this happening. Especially when it was in the forecast.

From what I seen, the storm was predicted to be bad. And even if it wasn't, isn't it better to side with a mistake in judgement, keep them off the roads & say we made the best educated guess and not subject you to this. The next day, or the next when the forecast improves, would be when they go. Isn't this how our fragile elderly are treated???
    Leeshore, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you to think that disabled and elderly people shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere if there is a change of a storm? I agree with MetroNYC that the workshop was trying to get the people home early before the storm got any worse.

It's sad any time there are fatalities in a traffic accident. My heart goes out to the family and friends of those that sustained fatal injuries. But the fact that they were disabled or 'fragile' doesn't make it any more tragic, in my mind.
    Daniel

I can't think of any other segment of society, but the elderly to compare this situation to. From what I have seen, thru previously working as a home health aid to the elderly. They at least have the judgement to see the forecast & cancel their appts, to the dr, hairdresser & are given an extra meal from meals on wheels a day or 2 before the storm. Because they aren't going to deliver that day & it's generally isn't announced on the media... While not all the disabled are unable, there is a portion of them that have no function to even voice their concerns.

Guess I am just a farmer at heart, he would at least look out the window & say Maw, we aren't going to town today. We have what we need right here, today. That's what I'm talking about.