Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Applying For A Job....

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I have never told them in advance. I went for the interview and when I was offered the position I asked to see the bathroom situation before fully accepting the job and proceeding to Human Resources.

I have to admit that I failed to scope out the front door accessibility of one possible employer before setting up the interview. The night before the interview I drove past the building to find the steepest incline of a ramp that I could not negotiate independently. So, I had to call first thing in the morning to cancell the interview. When asked why I lied and said that I had accepted another job.

Lessons Learned:
    1) Whenever possible check in advanced the accessibility of the parking lot [spaces, ramps to the sidewalk, distance to front entrance, width of the parking places] and the accessibility of the front door.
    2) Always check out the bathroom and cafeteria accessibility
    3) You are not obligated to fully disclose your medical condition during the hiring process.
    4) Think carefully before answering "Do you need any special accommodations?" Once I responded "No" and found out later on that I could have been provided with a laptop to use in the office and to take home.
    I will have to research and find at accommadations ahead of the Interview, that is one thing I didn't consider,

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I have never told them in advance. I went for the interview and when I was offered the position I asked to see the bathroom situation before fully accepting the job and proceeding to Human Resources.

I have to admit that I failed to scope out the front door accessibility of one possible employer before setting up the interview. The night before the interview I drove past the building to find the steepest incline of a ramp that I could not negotiate independently. So, I had to call first thing in the morning to cancell the interview. When asked why I lied and said that I had accepted another job.
    Was not telling them about your disability over the phone really a lie? Did they explicitly ask?

Hi

Congratulations on getting out there and getting interviews.

I am an employment consultant for people with disabilites, and also am a para myself so I thought this booklet I wrote may have some useful info for you about disclosing your disability and also making modifications/adjustments in your workplace.

http://www.graduatecareers.com.au/content/view/full/3062

As far as the employer is concerned, the main issue is whether you can do the job.

THe decision on if/when to disclose your disability is totally up to you. The most important thing is that you keep the focus on your abilities, rather than challenges. So, as others have pointed out, it's probably best to ensure you can easily access the interview venue so that you can proceed with the interview without access issues making a big issue out of your disability.

If you dont tell them beforehand, One way to deal with the inevitable suprise is to bring it up yourself and relate it to a skill/strength to put everyone at ease.

Goodluck for the interview!!!!

"The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

Thanks Miss Sept for the booklet, I am sure it will answer alot of questions I have about getting back in the workplace.

Luckily for me, in the phone interview, they asked why I had been out of work for a year, and I explained I was in an accident and in a wheelchair. But if they don't ask, then don't mention it. Otherwise, after you have the face to face scheduled, simply call back, and say, "Ohh I forgot to check, Is your office handicap accessible?" If it's not accessible, tell them you're calling ADA.

Quote Originally Posted by dylankrapf View Post
    Luckily for me, in the phone interview, they asked why I had been out of work for a year, and I explained I was in an accident and in a wheelchair. But if they don't ask, then don't mention it. Otherwise, after you have the face to face scheduled, simply call back, and say, "Ohh I forgot to check, Is your office handicap accessible?" If it's not accessible, tell them you're calling ADA.
    There's no such thing as calling the ADA, you might as well say, "I'm gonna tell my Mommy".

anyway, sorry if above sounded Bitchy...

I learned to check the building prior to an interview. Most businesses (sp) have a website you can check the photos too.
    I would also just show up being mind prepared that I might not get into the interviewer's office and be prepared (confidence is everything) to do the interview in the waiting room. "Is there a conference room we could chat?"

Your qualifications will get you hired.
    Last edited by Liz321; 01-10-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    There's no such thing as calling the ADA, you might as well say, "I'm gonna tell my Mommy".

anyway, sorry if above sounded Bitchy...
    Ohh, I guess the ADA Website it wrong...
    "Complaints about violations of title I (employment) by units of State and local government or by private employers should be filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Call 800 - 669 - 4000 (voice) or 800 - 669 - 6820 (TTY) to reach the field office in your area."

sorry, if that sounded bitchy... i'm just a smartass.

Either way, we do have rights. Why would you pass up a job that may be a great fit for you, if when you drive by to look at it or whatever, it doesn't look accessible. There may be a back door, or a side entrance that you can't see or you don't know about.
    I had a "pre-interview" at a staffing agency, and I asked the woman if the office was handicap accessible, she replied, "Yes, just come in our entrance next to 7-11." I showed up the morning of the interview, and went to the door only to find a 10" step into the door. I saw her through the window, but she was on the phone and pretty much ignored me. So I called her, and said, "I thought you said your office was handicap accessible." She replied, "Hold on one second, I'm on the other line". By this point, I was about to turn around and just leave, but a kind security guard from the building came up and asked if I was trying to get in. So I followed him around the back of the building and into a little side door, then he walked me to the side entrance of the office. She didn't even apologize when I greeted her. It turned out, the dumb bitch forgot that I told her I was in a wheelchair on the phone, and forgot 2 more times during the interview why I hadn't worked for the past year. Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that you shouldn't pass up something because you either didn't ask if it was accessible or it doesn't look accessible. I knew that job that was being offered was the job for me and I didn't let anything stand in the way. I got the job, and last week was my first week and it went 10 times better than I thought it would.

Congrats on getting the job!! Sorry what you had to go thru to get in the building, most people don't think when it come to things like accessibility because it is not important to them, mainly because they don't have to do it on a daily basis. Compassion or empathy is what is lacking, that is different from sympathy.