Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to move

Need to move

So i receive Medicaid and have caregivers 12 hours a day. I'm graduating college and really want to move out-of-state from Indiana to either California or Washington or New york. Has anyone on here had expierences with getting setup with medicaid equivelent in another state when you moved or visited?

EDIT: Please do not post reasons why I can't or may not be able to do this. If we can send a man to the moon, then we can transfer disability services to another state. I need positivity right now... I know it's possible, we just need to find a way.

thanks
    Last edited by coregmrconman; 12-30-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: IDK
    C'mon buh bub!

Good luck. First of all, CA is cutting back in all government services, and the Gov. has been gunning for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services, our attendant care program) for some time. He would like to eliminate the program all together, but may settle for cutting back on most services significantly. Getting approved for 12 hours daily is most unlikely, unless you are on a ventilator. 4-6 hours is much more likely (after a social worker evaluates you in person in your home), and it can take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get approved for that once you are in the state and can apply. You would then need to find an attendant(s) who will accept the $8.75/hr or so (it varies by county) with no benefits you are allowed to pay. You cannot supplement this with other funds.

As far as Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA), you must of course meet the requirements as far as assets and income and then establish CA residency for a minimum of 30 days prior to applying. Once you apply, it can take 2-3 months now days to start getting benefits.

Since you have completed college, aren't you planning on seeking employment and then get insurance through an employer?

Others will have to address WA or NY issues. Getting a man to the moon has absolutely nothing to do with govt. bureaucracy and red tape or federal and state law.

(KLD)

call the independent living centers in the states you wish to live
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Good luck. First of all, CA is cutting back in all government services, and the Gov. has been gunning for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services, our attendant care program) for some time. He would like to eliminate the program all together, but may settle for cutting back on most services significantly. Getting approved for 12 hours daily is most unlikely, unless you are on a ventilator. 4-6 hours is much more likely (after a social worker evaluates you in person in your home), and it can take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get approved for that once you are in the state and can apply. You would then need to find an attendant(s) who will accept the $8.75/hr or so (it varies by county) with no benefits you are allowed to pay. You cannot supplement this with other funds.

As far as Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA), you must of course meet the requirements as far as assets and income and then establish CA residency for a minimum of 30 days prior to applying. Once you apply, it can take 2-3 months now days to start getting benefits.

Since you have completed college, aren't you planning on seeking employment and then get insurance through an employer?

Others will have to address WA or NY issues. Getting a man to the moon has absolutely nothing to do with govt. bureaucracy and red tape or federal and state law.

(KLD)
    Yeah, there are ways around everything. A friend once told me they call it red tape because it can always be cut. You just have to find some red scissors.
    C'mon buh bub!

Quote Originally Posted by coregmrconman View Post
    Yeah, there are ways around everything. A friend once told me they call it red tape because it can always be cut. You just have to find some red scissors.
    Good luck with that. We have not found any "scissors" like that which work for our clients in CA.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by coregmrconman View Post
    So i receive Medicaid and have caregivers 12 hours a day. I'm graduating college and really want to move out-of-state from Indiana to either California or Washington or New york. Has anyone on here had expierences with getting setup with medicaid equivelent in another state when you moved or visited?

EDIT: Please do not post reasons why I can't or may not be able to do this. If we can send a man to the moon, then we can transfer disability services to another state. I need positivity right now... I know it's possible, we just need to find a way.

thanks
    Im actually doing this. you cant transfere. not the medicaid part. each state has its unique requirememts. If you have medicare and already part D, for prescriptions that would make it easyer. I dont know about washington, but cali is not a great choice if you need to rely on their state medical. I am from there and still have family there who have sci. You have to apply in person for medicaid. It cannot be transferred.
    you can transfere ssi, and medicare just by calling them or sometimes you can do it online and just update to a new address. South carolina, where I just moved, has a lot of subsidised housing. cost of living is lower in general too. Housing in california is extremely expensive. food, gas, and utilities are higher. My son and his wife moved to San Diego a few months ago, and found it just too hard to make it. They had savings too, which they blew through. his wife was able to find a job, but my son could not. I have brothers out there also. They are native, so I guess used to it. both are struggling to get by. I would have loved to go home, But it was just not realistic that I would make it since I have no profession, and rely on state medicaid to be healthy.
    Good luck with relocating. please keep us posted on your progress.

Don't give up man, follow your dreams!

The housing situation, fuel, public transportation, are even higher in new york. I dont know about medical or medicaid there.
    Mr coffee just moved to california, but he had a job lined up, and I think they provided medical coverage. if I remember right, it took like two years of planning and job search to get where he is, but Im sure he would be able to advise you on what it took to get there. I have managed to establish residence in South Carolina without too much problem, but so far cannot find a doctor who will take me as a patient due to the sci. Even the Sc spinal cord association has been unable to find me a doctor. If you do move, take your medical records with you. I wish I had. it will save you time and money, since each dr requires that you apply, they revew and it costs each time to supply them with the information they need.

I have housing lined up... 2.5 acre house outside of SF. It was offered to me by a friend... I have a degree, and have tons of connections. Finding a job would be simple enough for me. Getting my in home help is the tricky part. I could last maybe 2 weeks without it from help from friends, but after that i would need srvices. I am pretty good at convincing people to help my cause. This summer I will probably making a trip to DC to visit my congressman in attempts to help me. I'm not giving up on this. As bad as you say it is there, imagine your budget almost cut in half. That is here.
    C'mon buh bub!

If you go to work, you may qualify for Ticket to Work and be able to keep some attendant services, but eventually you will no longer qualify for IHSS. It is a need-based program, and even with Ticket to Work you may have a signficant share of costs in order to stay in the program. If you are working at the time you apply, you are very unlikely to be quickly approved. CA is actively auditing (ie, making surprise inspections of you and your home) all IHSS recipients, so don't try to even think about hiding that you are working or otherwise breaking any of the IHSS regulations.

(KLD)