Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most exciting Drs appointment ever

Most exciting Drs appointment ever

I truly could use a less exciting life lately.

So we go to a regular followup doctor's appointment, at a University hospital. My husband is happily sitting there having his BP taken, and proceeds to have a grand mal seizure.

The nurse was not delighted. I'm holding on to him - tell her to go get the doctor. Actually, I saw it coming on and had said to get the doctor right before it started, but then he started seizing before she accomplished that.

So I wait... he collapses (thankfully was on the exam table). So a doctor comes (well at least he picked the right doctor's office, they're pulmonary/critical care). Everyone looks at each other and asks "Well, is he breathing?" Not sure if he was, but he did shortly afterward anyway. Always a good sign.

They were going to get transport to the ER, but then he kept going in and out of the seziure. So next thing is they call "Dr. Cart" - i.e. the code team. Then the place looked like one of those volkswagen or phone booth jokes - at a teaching hospital, everyone wants to see the action - and I swear about 10-15 people were trying to crowd into the exam room. And no one could figure out who the doc running the show was - they kept asking each other "Who's Dr. Cart?". And they didn't have any valium on the cart (?????). He did stop seizing however.

Eventually, the annoying ER resident arrives - and says he looks anxious. Well gee, you wake up with a defibrillator sitting next to you, and 10 people yelling "Who's Dr. Cart?" over you, wouldn't most people think that might be of some concern?! I just love hospitals saying "Oh, you seem anxious". Duh.

Everyone, with the exception of the annoying ER resident were great though. We'll see what neuro says.

Just a rant basically, I've had enough of my husband being "mystery diagnosis".

Wow, Tam...sounds like a fiasco. Is your husband ok now? Does he have a history of seizures?

Hope things have calmed down for you folks now.

All the best.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Thanks Mark. It was a bit of an uproar - doctor's offices aren't used to that much ruckus - although the docs were calm of course, the staff weren't too thrilled.

He's never had a grand mal seizure before. He had one absence seizure last summer (minor one) which was attributed to an antibiotic. He's had a few weird little things that I thought might have been seizures, but couldn't tell really. So no formal diagnosis of a seizure disorder.

He's been undergoing some neuro testing anyway, and we already have a neuro appt. today conveniently, so we'll see what she says.

We've been chasing an explanation for symptoms for a year now. This is entirely no fun.

Wow, sorry for your experience there. If you wanted that kind of excitement, old reruns of ER are better.

Some aspects of university teaching hospitals are scary and you just described one, all the 'lookie loues' turning out for a code and no one bringing the valium.

I am glad he is seeing the neurologist today. Now you can tell him about this grand mal seizure.

Tam, does he have a tentative diagnosis? Do they have any idea about what might be going on?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

TAM, I would be very concerned about his grand mal seizures. What is causing them. Did they send him for an MRI, EEG? Is he still at the hospital inpatient? Are they doing tests?
    It sounds like an urgent situation, especially if he has no history of this. Did he have convulsions? Lucky he was laying down. Did the doctors diagnose the type of seizure?

I grew up with one of my relatives having grand-mal seizures. It can be frightening for the observer. I have learned to distinguish it from other seizures, such as petit-mal.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gra...CTION=symptoms

Is he taking a lot of pain meds, or combination of other pain meds which have seizures as a side-effect? I am sure the doctors must be looking at this first. I sure hope he gets this properly evaluated. As far as the care at the hospital, I am sorry. Just glad he was at least in the hospital and not driving or something when it happened.

Tam, how very frightening for you both. So sorry that this happened, and one can only hope that this might help them finally pin down the "mystery diagnosis." I hope you are both able to rest up a bit today.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Wow, sorry for your experience there. If you wanted that kind of excitement, old reruns of ER are better.

Some aspects of university teaching hospitals are scary and you just described one, all the 'lookie loues' turning out for a code and no one bringing the valium.

I am glad he is seeing the neurologist today. Now you can tell him about this grand mal seizure.
    Yes, I really do prefer my codes on TV. And yep, we're both old ER junkies.

They did pretty well considering - I am not complaining it was bad care. It would have been better to have had the valium, but as he stopped seizing without it, no harm done. I'm sure they would have eventually found some. I think they're more used to having these performances in the hospital proper - we were over in the doctor's office building.

When my poor old lady friend coded last spring (she didn't make it) I swear there were about 25 people in that room. I think the number of onlookers expands to whatever the sq. feet capacity of the room is - her ICU room was pretty big. Ah well, they have to learn.

I think the neurologist already heard about it - but yes, it will certainly be a topic of discussion.

No diagnosis at this point, he's had some tests - I'm sure he'll have more.

MED100 - actually he wasn't lying down, he was sitting on the edge of the exam table with me holding him up - added to the fun. And yes, at the doctor's was far preferable than on the train ride home or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Tam, how very frightening for you both. So sorry that this happened, and one can only hope that this might help them finally pin down the "mystery diagnosis." I hope you are both able to rest up a bit today.
    Thanks No rest for the weary though, we have to drive back down there today to see neuro. Although I'm glad we have the appointment today.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Thanks No rest for the weary though, we have to drive back down there today to see neuro. Although I'm glad we have the appointment today.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes.