Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embeda

It's just controlled release morphine.

They've figured out a way to imbed narcan in it - so if people try to party with it (crush it) it releases the narcan and doesn't work. But if taken as prescribed, the narcan isn't released, and it works.

So if morphine works for you, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    Like I say, it takes the edge off. I'm still able to function, like get up 6 in the morning get dressed and go to work, keep my mind on what I'm doing. The burning is still there, but I'm not thinking about it as much as I would be with out it.
    Any benefit you can get is a blessing. If you don't mind me asking, what else do you take for pain?

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    Any benefit you can get is a blessing. If you don't mind me asking, what else do you take for pain?
    David,
    I was taking vicodin after my accident for about 2 years, and they finally quit working. At that time I stopped taking all my medications because I felt they not doing any good. So I went about 6 years not taking anything, until I got a pressure sore on my lower back. I was no longer allowed to sleep on my back and sleeping on my sides turning back and forth all night caused severe pain in my shoulders and the leg pain got much worse, also. I then went back on the vicodin es 3 times a day. I've been taking that for the last 2 1/2 years. My family Doctor felt it was too much Tylenol, so he put on lorcet 10-650 once a day, that itched the shit out of me. So he then put me on tramadol 100mg 3 times a day, it made me too spaced out. So then indomethcin, still itched. Then neurontin, did nothing for my upper body and made me focus on my legs burning more, not good. So now the embeda 20mg once a day, which seems to help a little. I go back in a couple of weeks to see if it needs to be upped to 30mg.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    David,
    I was taking vicodin after my accident for about 2 years, and they finally quit working. At that time I stopped taking all my medications because I felt they not doing any good. So I went about 6 years not taking anything, until I got a pressure sore on my lower back. I was no longer allowed to sleep on my back and sleeping on my sides turning back and forth all night caused severe pain in my shoulders and the leg pain got much worse, also. I then went back on the vicodin es 3 times a day. I've been taking that for the last 2 1/2 years. My family Doctor felt it was too much Tylenol, so he put on lorcet 10-650 once a day, that itched the shit out of me. So he then put me on tramadol 100mg 3 times a day, it made me too spaced out. So then indomethcin, still itched. Then neurontin, did nothing for my upper body and made me focus on my legs burning more, not good. So now the embeda 20mg once a day, which seems to help a little. I go back in a couple of weeks to see if it needs to be upped to 30mg.
    When you refer to leg pain here, are you referring to the burning, or a different type of pain that might not be neuropathic?

I slightly surprised your doc tried tramadol before neurontin, but perhaps he was just more familiar with it. For a number of years most have looked at neurontin as the front-line choice, and for the past few years it has shared that spot with lyrica. If neurontin didn't work for you (and do you remember what dose you took and for how long?), then lyrica might still be worth a shot.

Neuropathic itching (if that's what it is) can drive people up a wall. Some would classify that as a form as parethesia. As you might know I'm AB, but a year or two after starting as a mod here I had a weird little accident that led to a bit of that in my big toe. It's not enough to be worth griping about, but it does give me just a taste of the bizarre quality of neuro symptoms. Mine is just enough that I can't handle laying on my back with the sheets over my foot at night, but strangely I don't even notice it during the day.

Another thought; do you still have trouble sleeping on your sides at night? If so, what sort of mattress do you use? If it's an inner-spring then I'd recommend looking at other options. I spent a bunch of money on an Intellibed a couple of years ago and I don't toss and turn nearly as much, but I believe most any memory or latex mattress would do about the same thing. Or perhaps you have something fancier to help with pressure sores.

BTW, have you ever tried TENS?

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    When you refer to leg pain here, are you referring to the burning, or a different type of pain that might not be neuropathic?
    Yes, the pain in my legs is a burning pain. Starts in lower back and goes down the outerside of my legs.

I slightly surprised your doc tried tramadol before neurontin, but perhaps he was just more familiar with it. For a number of years most have looked at neurontin as the front-line choice, and for the past few years it has shared that spot with lyrica. If neurontin didn't work for you (and do you remember what dose you took and for how long?), then lyrica might still be worth a shot.
    The neurontin was 300mg 2 times a day. This was the second time I tried it, I took it right after my accident.

Neuropathic itching (if that's what it is) can drive people up a wall. Some would classify that as a form as parethesia. As you might know I'm AB, but a year or two after starting as a mod here I had a weird little accident that led to a bit of that in my big toe. It's not enough to be worth griping about, but it does give me just a taste of the bizarre quality of neuro symptoms. Mine is just enough that I can't handle laying on my back with the sheets over my foot at night, but strangely I don't even notice it during the day.
    My itching, I believe, is from the codene. When I take benedril with lorcet, it's almost un-noticable. Sorry about your toe, sometimes the little things drive you crazy the most.

Another thought; do you still have trouble sleeping on your sides at night? If so, what sort of mattress do you use? If it's an inner-spring then I'd recommend looking at other options. I spent a bunch of money on an Intellibed a couple of years ago and I don't toss and turn nearly as much, but I believe most any memory or latex mattress would do about the same thing. Or perhaps you have something fancier to help with pressure sores.
    Yes, I sleep on a low-loss air mattress. I had a lot of broken bones in my upper body and I think I have pinched nerves.

BTW, have you ever tried TENS?
    Yes, I have with little to no noticable improvement.