Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First earth quake!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Yeah, I was in Pismo Beach when that one hit, too.

Do you know Bob Plymale? He lived in Atascadero, same injury level as me, T5. I met him in rehab in Santa Barbara 1n 1986. He was still living in Atascadero last I heard.

I agree that they're worse when in a chair.
    nope, never met him.

Do you know Bob Plymale?
    I do. Damn...it's hard to believe we haven't met one another. I was in SB rehab in '86 also, for pressure sore repair. Somewhere between July & Sept....

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

You'll get used to them Cory. I remember the quake in '89 just before the third game of the World Series. I was a couple hundred miles south, but it jolted the pavement we were all partying on. Actually rocked and rolled in my chair for a bit. Amazing power, it boggles the mind. Didn't feel the Northridge quake as much, but we still felt it. I was living on the coast about halfway between SF and LA for both quakes. We had some big ones closer by at Coalinga, to the east, and those were rockers and rollers, too - but the worst of those was before my injury.
    All the old timers here were talking about the 89' quake here, they said it sounded like a train coming and then a massive loud noise and then everything was shaking. I guess this was a rolling quake, which isn't as bad as the type that jolt you up and down like in 89' I heard!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I was born in San Francisco and lived there until I was 9. I missed the big one in 1989 but remember being completely freaked out for a few days because I couldn't get ahold of my father who lived in the Sunset District in San Francisco, real close to the epicenter. I was terrified that he was in the freeway that collapsed because he worked in San Mateo, and I wasn't quite sure what road he took to get there. It took around 5 days before the phone lines were repaired and clear up enough before I got ahold of him. I don't think I spoke the whole time. What a crazy week that was. I also experienced a few before I moved out of their, a couple of times waking up with my bed a couple feet away from the wall because I would sleep through them. I like it here in Arizona where the only thing I have to worry about is the heat and monsoon season. Although whenever and earthquake hits Los Angeles, you can see the water in the swimming pools move around quite a bit. It's really bizarre.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Wow, scary stuff. Glad you are OK, and I think the "high five" was sort of a "we made it" gesture. I only experience a tiny quake once in my life, although it was enough to cost over a thousand dollars to have to replace the water pipe coming into my house that buckled when the earth shifted a bit.

I havnt felt a quake since the world series in SF. I was in El cajon area, and was not sure except I was watching the game. the aftershocks were totally felt.

Hell yeah, good fun! I think they are exciting. It's definitely a little scarier sitting here in the chair than before. Does that mean more exciting? Not sure. As long as you're not on a bridge, in a tunnel, in a old building, or anywhere formed with landfill you should be high-fiving.

I was in the bay Area in 89. Just got home from a medical appt and was lying down. My bed started shaking and I thought it was my aide goofing. He grabbed me off the bed right as my 6 foot tall, 5 sleve book case fell on where I was laying.
    I leaned on the wall and went thru it, leaving a huge hole. Red Cross put me up in a hotel for 5 weeks and I moved north to Sacramento.

I had a friend on the escalator at the World Series, so drunk he didn't notice it. He went to his seat and it was part of the stadium that dropped. Lord knows how Phil made it home to Cupertino.

Cory, my suggestion is have an escape route. Elevators loose power. Does your office have an evacuation chair? We have one in ours---worth the precautions.

Congrats on loosing your virginity!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    I do. Damn...it's hard to believe we haven't met one another. I was in SB rehab in '86 also, for pressure sore repair. Somewhere between July & Sept....
    I think I got there in late October, can't really recall. But Bob was there for a sore too, I believe. He was injured some months before me...I was newly injured. We got drunk together many a time in that nice patio setting they had in the back of the rehab. Beautiful place to rehab, if that's not an oxymoron. If you see him, tell him howdy. We probably would recognize each other if we saw one another flicka.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

We got drunk together many a time in that nice patio setting they had in the back of the rehab. Beautiful place to rehab, if that's not an oxymoron.
    I wrote a video script using it as visuals to go with "Hotel California".
    If you see him, tell him howdy. We probably would recognize each other if we saw one another flicka.
    I haven't see Bob in ages. He'll probably pop up soon now that we've thought about him.

You are probably right, your picture avatar seems so familar...no doubt we crossed paths somewhere.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama