The '89 quake was a a shocker for me...I had just gotten home from having surgery on a torn achilles tendon...not being used to crutches and afraid I would fall again I was sitting on the floor near my bookcase, like cheesecake said ya don't want to be near a bookcase...at first I really thought it was pain meds doing a number on my head and balance...then the kids came running in the house yelling earthquake...we lived about an hour from SF... the floor was actually moving and popped up a few hardwood floor pieces...the aftershocks (which was probably what you felt Cory) went on for days...

The Northridge quake in I think 72 I managed to miss...we were living in Oxnard on the beach...a family emergency had us in northern Cali visiting and I went into labor and had my daughter...it was days before I could reach my parents to let them know I'd had the baby...so didn't feel that one but when we got home, what a mess...the kitchen had everything on the floor, almost every dish broke and canned goods everywhere...the scariest thing was the fireplace (for want of a better word) it was round and very 70's orange and sat on a platform a foot or so high so you had seating around it...retro looking today...and it fit right in with the green shag carpet...hahahaha....anyways, all the pipe was knocked everywhere, especially the black soot...a very big mess...SO glad I was not home...

Living in tornado country now... I always wonder what is worse...at least with a tornado usually there is ample warning to seek shelter...at least that is what I tell myself...have spent many nights waiting up and listening to our weatherman...they will have down to the minute, the exact time a "cell" will be over you! I have learned to enjoy the thunder storms and lightning...they scared the hell outa this California girl when I first moved here 8 years ago...haven't meant to ramble...it's a senior thing...

Cory, plan an emergency exit...tell your boss he needs to be VERY aware of your needs and make sure help will be available to you! Elevators are the first to shut down...

I plan on being in San Jose at some point this summer, would love to take you to dinner!
Your posts are filled with such love and life and you have brought me many a belly laugh! hugs, judy