Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: First earth quake!

  1. #1
    Senior Member mr_coffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,030

    Talking First earth quake!

    So it was a 4.2 only 11 miles from where I was working! I never experienced one and it was actually exciting at first but then got scary when I really felt the building moving.

    I was on the 3rd floor so I felt it more then people who were on the ground from what I hear.

    Kind of puts your life in perspective. It all could be over anytime! So you might as well not worry about the little things in life.

    After it was over my manager ran up to me and gave me a high five it was hilarious.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;


    For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

  2. #2
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    the aftershocks sometims are stronger at first then get less. did your heart almost explode or was it over too quick.

  3. #3
    Senior Member McDuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas area, Tx
    Posts
    3,483
    Whenever I'd fly out there for business, I was hoping to feel one. Told others at lunch one day, they all said "thanks a lot". Well, didn't mean a big one.

    Never did get to feel one.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

  4. #4
    Senior Member skippy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a handbasket
    Posts
    2,537
    As a northridge survivor, I can tell you you don't want to feel a stronger one, And Mc Duff you were lucky not to have that experience.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

  5. #5
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,964
    You'll get used to them Cory. I remember the quake in '89 just before the third game of the World Series. I was a couple hundred miles south, but it jolted the pavement we were all partying on. Actually rocked and rolled in my chair for a bit. Amazing power, it boggles the mind. Didn't feel the Northridge quake as much, but we still felt it. I was living on the coast about halfway between SF and LA for both quakes. We had some big ones closer by at Coalinga, to the east, and those were rockers and rollers, too - but the worst of those was before my injury.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    i never got used to them. I think a tornado is more terrifying though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,964
    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    i never got used to them. I think a tornado is more terrifying though.
    I agree, being that I now live in tornado alley. Have had warnings and such, but haven't had one come close enough to worry too much.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    You'll get used to them Cory. I remember the quake in '89 just before the third game of the World Series. I was a couple hundred miles south, but it jolted the pavement we were all partying on. Actually rocked and rolled in my chair for a bit. Amazing power, it boggles the mind. Didn't feel the Northridge quake as much, but we still felt it. I was living on the coast about halfway between SF and LA for both quakes. We had some big ones closer by at Coalinga, to the east, and those were rockers and rollers, too - but the worst of those was before my injury.
    were you around for the 6.4 san simeon quake in '04?? that was a real roller, and close too.....

    i view quakes different now that i'm in a chair. pretty much just 'no worries', hold on and see what happens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    7,176
    The only quake I had a chance to feel was ruined my the orbital paint buffer going top speed in my hands. My friends started calling my cell, all asking, "Did you feel that?" And I was like, "What do you mean Barq's has bite?"
    Last edited by NorthQuad; 01-07-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling failure

  10. #10
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Notwoodward View Post
    were you around for the 6.4 san simeon quake in '04?? that was a real roller, and close too.....

    i view quakes different now that i'm in a chair. pretty much just 'no worries', hold on and see what happens.
    Yeah, I was in Pismo Beach when that one hit, too.

    Do you know Bob Plymale? He lived in Atascadero, same injury level as me, T5. I met him in rehab in Santa Barbara 1n 1986. He was still living in Atascadero last I heard.

    I agree that they're worse when in a chair.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Strong quake hits northern Japan
    By rybread in forum Life
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
  2. Quake-led paraplegics on way to self-reliance
    By Max in forum Spinal Cord Injury News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •