Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem again--bear with me, this is a long post

I have a problem again--bear with me, this is a long post

Thanking any computer genius in advance if you will assist me! I am HOPING this will be just another of my stupid computer questions that is absolutely no big deal, and NOT something bad!

Several times in the last few months I've gotten MAILER--DAEMONS saying I sent mail to an address I've never even heard of and it was undeliverable. Addresses I KNOW I did not send mail to. It was only a couple of times and I just ignored it. This last one I got today, and I paid attention because there are A LOT of addresses on it, that I supposedly tried to send mail to! The subject of this supposedly from me email translates from German to English to read "Foreigner criminality continues to rise." Huh?

Does this mean someone is somehow sending email under MY email address? How does that happen? I'm going to copy/paste the MAILER--DAEMON below so you can see exactly what it looks like....I'll check back later to see if anyone answered. Edited to add...there is a big blank spot that I can't edit out...please scroll past that to see the whole thing. thanks!

Please help! Thank you! Carol

(edited copy/paste out to shorten thread.)

[This message was edited by X on 06-23-04 at 11:07 PM.]

I don't know why that big blank is on the post either. And I can't edit it out. I'm guessing it's something that is in the copy on my email? I have a bad feeling.......

Carole , i hate to be the bearer of bad news , but there is a high likelihood that this [and the others ] contain a virus . using this type of subject etc is used with either Sasser or Netski [sorry off the top of my head i can't remember which one ] virus .
    please don't shoot the messenger ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

You're infected.

Visit HouseCall and get yourself cleaned up.

-Steven
    ...picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

dogger and Steven

Thanks, thanks, thanks!! I read your posts earlier and went immediately to clean up! I'm happy to report that I am now virus free!

I have another question if either or you or anyone would have time to respond---Does this mean that I need to send an email (now that I'm presentable!) to anyone I've recently sent email to and let them know I had a virus? Could I have infected others with MY emails? The descriptions of the virus' when I did the House Call did not indicate it sent a virus to others through my email, but to be safe should I notify the others and send them the House Call link? I'll check in the morning for answers.

Thanks very much again! You are both much appreciated!

Carol

i really have no idea , if you didn't open the attachment on the email you should be safe . but you would be much better getting advice from other members who actually know something about computers ...
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Originally posted by dogger:

i really have no idea , if you didn't open the attachment on the email you should be safe . but you would be much better getting advice from other members who actually know something about computers ...
    thank you ,
    dogger
    dogger, you may THINK you know nothing about computers, but you know a heckuvalot more than I do! Thanks again!

Carol

Just email your friends... the bounced emails won't go anywhere if you try to email them, so all is well.

-Steven
    ...picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Thank you Steven! Not just for the info but for so nicely putting up with a computer dork like me! I'll try not to screw up anymore!

Carol

Some viruses will read the address books of, say, Outlook, and send phony emails using the names in the address books as sender. For example, your name may be in someone's address book, they get a virus, and it will send out emails using every name that person has in their address book, including yours. Many of those emails will bounce.

I get them occasionally, yet I have no viruses, nor an OS vulnerable to Windows viruses. So, my address as sender is coming from somewhere else.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"