Thread: My outdoor all terrain powerchair

My outdoor all terrain powerchair

Hers my outside powerchair. It started out as a wheelchairs of Kansas bariatric chair that I got for free from the Easter Seals of Iowa. When I got it the batteries were shot. I replaced them with new deep cycle marine batteries. We had to build a custom footrest/plate. My stepdad bent the front bar out of 1" schedule 80 pipe, and had a steel shop bend the front 1/8" plate. I also replaced the crappy grey wannabe knobby drive tires with a lil bit bigger tractor tread tiller tire.

I ran the factory belt drive for over a year with relatively no problems until this past fall. I would get grass, mud and gravel in between the belt and sprockets witch would make the belts come off. Finally after becoming stranded a couple 5+ times, I called my uncle who is one of the head maintence guys at general mills and we got together and replaced the belts and sprockets with #40 chain and sprockets. The results were SO much more reliability and piece of mind.

This thing will go thru almost anything. 4' high grass, 12" of snow, and deep mud so long as you can keep from bottoming out the bottom battery tray. It'll climb steep hills (but better be leaning forward). I use it to run into almost everything to move stuff. I used it to load and unload our lawn roller from our trailer. I don't know what I would do with out it.

Future plans are to put a narrower seat with power raise and recline, or potentially make it have standing capabilities. And to also build an adapter for dual rear tires. Maybe a gun turret/rest for hunting too.

T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

I'll have to get some more updated pics...
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

that thing looks like it is ready for war! thank you for sharing, i may just go monster garage on my worthless hoveround and make something out of it. :-)

Thanks I wanted something that would hold up and that I could fix with off the shelf parts What I love about it is that it is made with "real" steel. Stuff that you can cut off or actually weld too. It's not made out of crappy cheap aluminum, steel or plastic. It's very heavy duty!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

haha, that thing is a monster, a FrankenChair. Nothing like a little ingenuity, good job.

A little more steel up front and you'd have a cow catcher, "Cap'n, ramming speed!"
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Here's the new drive chain we installed to replace the sprocketed drive belts

here's another pic of the front foot plate we built

here's a better pic of the whole chair

and here's what it started out as
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA