Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 Chevy truck build

Talking 68 Chevy truck build

I acquired a faded green 71 longbed with a 250 six from a local farmer. I wanted a beater truck for running parts and the price was right ($250) so I took it off his hands. Well, things have changed and now my plans are to build a baby blue 68 clone with a front dropmember, weld in 4 link, air bags, 20" Coys, stock 250 six, Vintage air, and buddy buckets.

Joseph from EastsideDesignLab.com worked up some sick renderings of my vision. He has done work for other car builders and is a class act! I highly recommend him!

I'm generally not a fan of chrome and like the "poverty look" of white bumpers so I'm leaning toward #3 but #2 looks so clean that I'm really undecided, what do you think?

Here's the 71..

A 72 parts truck I got for the SWB frame and bed.

I plan on putting the 71 cab on the 72 frame and running a 68 clip. I just want a cruiser so the 250 with a 350 turbo will be used.

Won't be much progress until I finish a couple of honey do's and bagging my 05 burb (see signature) but I had to start the build thread after getting the renderings from Joseph
    Last edited by LooseCannon; 01-06-2010 at 12:22 AM.

It'll be sharp which ever way you go. I like the originals but thats just me.

I like the white. though, isnt it the ole fords that have the white bumpers and watnot?

proly a stupid question, will it have hydrolics to raise it enough to get over things like rough road and speedbumps?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I like the white. though, isnt it the ole fords that have the white bumpers and watnot?
    Dodge, Chevy, and Ford low optioned trucks (no power steering, radio, ac, etc.) had white bumpers. They were often purchased as work trucks for farms.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    proly a stupid question, will it have hydrolics to raise it enough to get over things like rough road and speedbumps?
    I'll be running air suspension. Similar results as hydraulics but with air springs.

Air spring.

In action.
    Last edited by LooseCannon; 01-07-2010 at 12:19 PM.

I like #2. I've been trying to get a local guy to sell me his 66 Short bed.

How much were the renderings? looking for some for our 55 Nomad
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

...#3

Quote Originally Posted by MotoRacer598 View Post
    I like #2. I've been trying to get a local guy to sell me his 66 Short bed.

How much were the renderings? looking for some for our 55 Nomad
    66's are a good body style. We did some horse trading so I'm not 100% sure of the rendering price. I'll PM you his email addy for you to contact. He's a great guy to work with.

i bad a 68 chevy 1/2 ton,i like the body style.I m working on finishing my 67 nova,its on bags ,but i need to hook them up on compressor still.I curently fill and measure each bag sepratly.any advise on a cheap kit for lines,and compressor?
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

LC,

I really respect and admire people who turn the ordinary into something that transcends functionality and becomes craft - even art.

I'm not the auto enthusiast you are. I drive em, haul stuff, change the oil, fix em when they break...

but I don't usually take note of the (to me) subtle differences between model years, styles, - even manufacturers.

But I finally remembered what has been familiar about your Chevy long-bed. I once owned an old GMC that I used as a "FARM USE" vehicle. I don't recall the model year, but it had a 305 V-6, positraction, and a bulldog low gear. That thing would climb a tree with chains on and weight in the bed. It would also haul a load uphill that bent the leaf springs backwards.

Long way to ask if the bodies on the GMC and Chevy were the same? To me, your LB Chevy looks the same as my memory of my old GMC. The paint scheme and color was even the same.

ETA - Egads! I just noticed it has the same pulled forward bumper on the drivers side. I did that when I hooked the safety cable on a gas pump as I was backing up. Lifted the pump off it's base before I heard people screaming. Always meant to put a muffler on that truck.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 02-26-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg