Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 and a half months into SCI

Hey all!,
    Its been a while since i checked in!
    Its been 15 months since my injury and im currently doing my 2nd stint at Project Walk!
    Im doing a lot of walking but indurance and foot drop are still an issue so if anyone has any suggestions please send them my way
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/STE...P/200654904411

My son is a walking para (he uses a chair too - probably 50-50). It took a long time and a lot of work to build up endurance. Have you tried a recumbent exercise bike to build up your muscles? That made a huge difference for my son. He still rides it. We got an inexpensive model from Sears and it's been great. As far as the foot drop, AFOs are your best bet. You can even get hinged ones to allow for flex at the ankle. Depends on you level of injury, etc.

Hope that helps. Take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Welcome! I'm so glad you're getting more function back. I hope it continues. It doesn't always come back with will power though, honestly. Even if you do have to use a chair in the end, even if just part time, you'll still find the goodness in life. Best wishes.

--I'm an incomplete c4 & recovered to c6/7 motor. Sensory continues to return here and there but it's an f'in scattered mess though!

Hey peanuts!
    Ive been using a recumbant bike at home aswell as a spin bike at project walk. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quad79, i won't stop till i make the best recovery possible and the trainers at project walk have pretty high hopes for me. I understand everyones different but i wont stop till im back where i was before my accident and i know it IS possible!
    Check out my page STEP BY STEP on facebook and there a heaps of amazing stories to inspire

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Welcome! I'm so glad you're getting more function back. I hope it continues. It doesn't always come back with will power though, honestly. Even if you do have to use a chair in the end, even if just part time, you'll still find the goodness in life. Best wishes.

--I'm an incomplete c4 & recovered to c6/7 motor. Sensory continues to return here and there but it's an f'in scattered mess though!

I'm a firm believer in a positive attitude and never giving up hope, but Quad79 is right, there is goodness is life no matter what it brings. Achieving the best recovery possible is vitally important, but it may be completely different than a full recovery. We take what life gives us, but to imply that willing oneself well is possible is really an insult. Everyone here wishes they were well, but the fact is that isn't the case. Life is still good and fulfilling. It took us about 2-3 years to hit the acceptance point. That's not to say exercise and hard work isn't a vital part of everyday life, it's just not the be all end all.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

HI Rannie, I am curious how old you are? My name is Sharon, although I go by Sam. My son has a recent injury (July 2010) and I too struggle with trying to take care of myself. So, so many things that need to be done! I am open to any suggestions.
    I am new to this site, so not sure where and how to post to other posts.

Ya know somthing, i was just thinking, in rehab, they never once said that I would never walk again, it's like a big thing, never to give up hope. Me on the other hand, after 3 yrs, well, it kinda sunk in. Guess they let you realize what your capabilities are.