Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 and a half months into SCI

3 and a half months into SCI

Hi all,
    I was just recently made aware of this forum and its brilliant! So much information that just isnt made aware to us in hospitals or rehab is aus.

I had my accident diving into a pool in bali on the 19th of september 09. I spent 2 weeks in hospital and had emergency surgery to stabelise the fracture of what we were told was my c6 & 7 vertibrae. I also got every infection possible and collapsed lungs, hell we even got stuck in an earth quake while i was in the trauma centre while everyone including the docs ran out leaving me and my mum fearing for our lives.

After a horrific ordeal i was air flighted home to melbourne and had to have 2 more surgerys as the one from bali failed. I was also diagnosed as c5 incomplete asia c in aus.

I had my last sx on the 8th of oct and have been in rehab since the 28th of october. Im currently moving one leg pretty close to normal, the other has just started moving a fraction, i have use of 1 hand as im typing but can move both arms and hands. Seems like one side is definetly slower then the other which ive read is quite normal. Ive been up in the standing frame and am using a FES bike up to 3 times a week. I am also starting lokomat training and going to project walk in brisbane after i am discharged in april. Because my accident happened overseas i am not compensated in anyway by our aus government therefor am relying on fundraising to fund my on going treatment. I did have travel insurance THANK GOD which covered me untill i hit home soil!

The docs told me id never walk again like ive heard they tell everyone..but i WONT let a chair take my life..i dead set refuse and with my head and heart on my side i know its possible!
    Ive got a page on facebook that is called STEP BY STEP and thats where i update on my progress and also post any new SCI info or stories i find. Feel free to check it out...

LOVE AND LUCK TO ALL XX

Welcome to CareCure. As we always say, sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. It sounds like you are getting significant return and have access to the right therapy to take advantage of it. Please continue to post here on your progress and join in our other forums as well.

(KLD)

I loved reading your story and will check out the FB page. You are doing fabulous, from what I hear determination is the key to success with spinal cord injuries.

My 14 yr old son has a new injury, 3 weeks, he is still in the hospital recovering from surgery. He has had setbacks, infection, we also had a storm...the list goes on. We are heading to rehab soon. I will tell him about your post!

Welcome to CC. Sounds like you are doing very well despite the additional complications of being overseas at the time of your accident and even an earthquake.

welcome rannie. sounds like you are on your way to some recovery.
    welcome also sharon D.

rannie,
    it sounds like you are well on your way to walking already!
    project walk is a great idea(they say anyone can walk).work hard and take care of yourself and positive change is the norm,not the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    I loved reading your story and will check out the FB page. You are doing fabulous, from what I hear determination is the key to success with spinal cord injuries.

My 14 yr old son has a new injury, 3 weeks, he is still in the hospital recovering from surgery. He has had setbacks, infection, we also had a storm...the list goes on. We are heading to rehab soon. I will tell him about your post!
    Hey SharonD, great name by the way it's my mums name... U must b a strong women! Just tell him I said as hard and life changing as it is to keep his chin up cos once u r in that hole it's bloody hard to get out of it and it just sets the recovery process back. Of course u can have bad days, I spent my 21st bday in rehab and also had my partner walk out on me but what u need to do is push all that rubbish aside and focus on the main thing RECOVERY! U being his mum, u need to also make sure ur looking after urself otherwise who else will?I watch my mum on a daily basis work herself into an early grave and I'm forever telling her to slow doooowwwwnnn lol. Keep in touch I would love to see how his recovery goes... Love and luck xx

hey rannie..

i think we've swapped stories before but u sound almost like me.. hows the recovery process coming along?
    c4 incomplete
    brown sequard syndrome

Sounds like you may have Brown Sequard Syndrome (as I do). You may want to do some research on that. Do you have sensory issues in your stronger side, like not feeling pain or the difference between hot and cold?

Rannie,

I love the name you chose for your FB Blog: Step by Step. It's so true. There is no giving up from here out! Keep working at it and welcome to the community.

- K
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135