Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was that smell?

Quote Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
    It's probably the guy cooking Meth next door............
    LOL ... I had the same thought but didn't want to suggest it. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I had a bad smell coming from my stove and it turned out to be the insulation on one of the wires burning off. It finally burned through and the stove burner stopped working.

It took a while for this to happen and I couldnt find the problem until I had the maintenance people come in to diagnose the problem. It them happened to another burner and it stopped working too.

How old is the stove? If this only happens at high heat, it could be the wiring insulation.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
    It's probably the guy cooking Meth next door............
    Yeah, that's the first thing my dad said. He heard it over the scanner so called right away.

Skippy, it's only a few years old.

I'll try to use it again today and see if it happens.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I had a bad smell coming from my stove and it turned out to be the insulation on one of the wires burning off. It finally burned through and the stove burner stopped working.

It took a while for this to happen and I couldnt find the problem until I had the maintenance people come in to diagnose the problem. It them happened to another burner and it stopped working too.

How old is the stove? If this only happens at high heat, it could be the wiring insulation.
    You mentioning the insulation on wires reminds me of something that happened to my brother in an apartment he was renting. He had just moved in and smelled a burning smell twice when cooking but couldn't locate the source. Then on the third time his stove started on fire. Turns out that somebody had decided to do a home repair job on the wiring to one of the burners. But instead of reinsulating the wires properly, they just used masking tape. Which ended up melting all over the place and eventually caught fire when he turned the burner up high enough. He managed to put the fire out and thankfully nobody got hurt. But it was scary.

I hope you find the source of the smell soon Novi.
    Last edited by orangejello; 01-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Everything suggested sounds good, but what about the eggs? Are you sure they weren't bad and producing an odor? As a quad on a vent 24/7, I'm one of the worst people to ask about smell, but it's what came to mind.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Everything suggested sounds good, but what about the eggs? Are you sure they weren't bad and producing an odor? As a quad on a vent 24/7, I'm one of the worst people to ask about smell, but it's what came to mind.
    Good thought, but if the smell was making her sick, she sure didn't wanna EAT 'em...lol.

(sorry I HAD to say it!)

Hope you figure it out soon!

Just call management and have someone check the stove. Unless...... You weren't lighting your girl farts, were you? Bad! Bad! (Happy 2010 kiddo!)
    Death and taxes