Thread: neck spasms causing eye flashers /floaters

neck spasms causing eye flashers /floaters

I am not havig it anymore but yesterday I experienced this the second time since my injury, which is very mild compared to you guys but most likely some mild compression of c2-3 and c6 or mild central cord injury (possibly w/ brusing). I am still weak and tingly and spasmy but doing a lot better.

Anyways, for the second time I had really bad muscle spasms in my neck and eye flashers (like floaters, but brighter and more squiggly). Is this normal with a cervical injury? Has it happened to anyone here? I don't have a neurologist appt til next month. I am fine today, but is this anything dangerous? Are the blood vessels doing something crazy? Thanks.
    Last edited by bluegreenocean; 01-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.

I would suggest that you have an exam by an ophthalmologist... sometimes flashes and floaters can be indicative of a vitreous detachment and even possibly a retina tear, hole or detachment.
    I would not wait until you see your neurologist.

I have seen flashes and floaters but I do not have spasms.

I've had floaters before and these aren't the normal floaters. They are almost psychadellic bursts of light and waves. Its only happened twice, both after my car accident, but the last time I had a neurologist appointment three days after, and he looked at my eyes and didn't see anything strange. He looks at my eyes every time they go. I figured it had something to do with a nerve or blood supply or what but its freaky.

I agree that you should have an ophthalmologist (not the neurologist) look at it ASAP. It doesn't sound like a blood supply problem to me, but something's exciting the optic nerve. Physical motion of the nevous system within the eye, such as retinal detachment or the very slight pulls associated with aging and drying up can do that. It could be very important, it could be nothing serious. But you don't want to take a chance with your sight.

I get the flashes with the onset of a UTI. They go away after about 40min.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

As far as I know, the flashes are not related to your sci. However, they can be an indication of other neurologic problems going on. I would get myself to an opthamologist who can really look at the eye and see what is going on. He/she might send you to a neuro-opthamologist.....

CKF

I saw an eye doctor & everything check out. It only happens during a uti. The eye doc called it something but I forget what he said.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis