Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overly sensitive?

If she was 15 or younger, no biggie. If she was older than that, she is definitely a shallow person and not worth fretting over.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    I feel the same way as CC. Disability & weight related comments hit me like rocks these days.
    Makes me wonder what she says behind my back, as my own form is "Rubenesque."

It makes me wonder if her parents died at 32, in a car crash! My aging parents taught me early on that they are still there, in their failing bodies. Well, until they aren't.

Im not sure if its a good thing or not, Im very VERY vocal. I would have called her on it. I love a good challenge, or arguement. (lighthearted)
    You are not wrong in your sentiments at all, for two major reasons. One being the obvious and when we live things, we become sensitive over them. For me, its my weight.
    and the second thing is people that narrow make us self concious. If they are saying htat about him. What are they saying about me?

the bottom line, you were right in ignoring her. Ignorance is bliss and you cant change stupid (oops this dang keyboard just has a mind of its own teehee)

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    For anyone with the patience to read this I would like some feedback to see if reaction seems right or too sensitive. I went to a little New Year's eve gathering of some people who live in my condo buiding. As it got closer to midnight the host put the television on to the station with Dick Clark. As the ball started to descend the camera panned the crowd, and then back to Mr. Clark, who was being kissed by his wife. The hostess said "yuck, I wouldn't want to kiss that mouth." I asked why, to which she replied that it was "all messed up." I told her that he had had a stroke and that some of his facial muscles were still affected. She said she didn't care, she could never kiss a mouth like that. I kept my mouth shut out of either politeness or cowardice (could be either) but I was/am really upset at this comment and how superficial and disability related it is. There is nothing wrong with my mouth or my facial muscles, so it is not a personally relevant comment, but I find it mean-spirited and am feeling like a blow against anyone of us is a blow against us all. It is not the first time I have heard her say something like this either. There is a man who lives in this building who is brain injured. He is a pain in the butt in that he has no boundaries and doesn't easily take no as an answer, but he is not what one would think of as ugly. One day she was talking about ugly people and mentioned him. I said that he was a pain in the ass at times, but I didn't think of him as ugly. She then said something about his walk, which is awkward and difficult because of his brain injury. I told her that was his disability and did not make him ugly. She disagreed, apparently feeling safe in her bigotry because I look like I am just sitting. Anyway, it sort of ruined New Year's eve for me, especially because no one else there corrected her or said anything about what she had said. I am just as guilty, sitting there is silence feeling hurt and angry.
    new year eve partys are suppose to be stupid and fun, not sit around and debate who'd ugly or not, should have just let it go and ejoyed the party, it's not your fault if she's ignorant, and a party is not the place to bring it up
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    new year eve partys are suppose to be stupid and fun, not sit around and debate who'd ugly or not, should have just let it go and ejoyed the party, it's not your fault if she's ignorant, and a party is not the place to bring it up
    Hi Bruce,
    Well, I definitely did let it go in terms of saying anything. You're right, she is ignorant and nothing I say is going to make a difference. I guess I was just surprised at her bigorty, and hurt a little by it too.

Hi Bruce,
    Well, I definitely did let it go in terms of saying anything. You're right, she is ignorant and nothing I say is going to make a difference. I guess I was just surprised at her bigorty, and hurt a little by it too.
    just don't let ignorant people spoil your fun, most of them are too gone to try and help
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

For anyone with the patience to read this I would like some feedback to see if reaction seems right or too sensitive. I went to a little New Year's eve gathering of some people who live in my condo buiding. As it got closer to midnight the host put the television on to the station with Dick Clark. As the ball started to descend the camera panned the crowd, and then back to Mr. Clark, who was being kissed by his wife. The hostess said "yuck, I wouldn't want to kiss that mouth." I asked why, to which she replied that it was "all messed up." I told her that he had had a stroke and that some of his facial muscles were still affected. She said she didn't care, she could never kiss a mouth like that. I kept my mouth shut out of either politeness or cowardice (could be either) but I was/am really upset at this comment and how superficial and disability related it is. There is nothing wrong with my mouth or my facial muscles, so it is not a personally relevant comment, but I find it mean-spirited and am feeling like a blow against anyone of us is a blow against us all. It is not the first time I have heard her say something like this either. There is a man who lives in this building who is brain injured. He is a pain in the butt in that he has no boundaries and doesn't easily take no as an answer, but he is not what one would think of as ugly. One day she was talking about ugly people and mentioned him. I said that he was a pain in the ass at times, but I didn't think of him as ugly. She then said something about his walk, which is awkward and difficult because of his brain injury. I told her that was his disability and did not make him ugly. She disagreed, apparently feeling safe in her bigotry because I look like I am just sitting. Anyway, it sort of ruined New Year's eve for me, especially because no one else there corrected her or said anything about what she had said. I am just as guilty, sitting there is silence feeling hurt and angry.
    Wow! What a shallow and rude bitch! If the man I loved had had a stroke and had a little facial muscle trouble, it wouldn't keep me from kissing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Wow! What a shallow and rude bitch! If the man I loved had had a stroke and had a little facial muscle trouble, it wouldn't keep me from kissing him.

Some people really don't know what love is or the value of it. If you love someone truly, you don't care what they look like and in fact if someone I loved had had a stroke and lived you would see me glomming onto them every chance I got. Life is fleeting and one stroke can lead to another leaving you without the love of your life in an instant.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I think its easy to judge when its not someone YOU love. I have gotten my share of stupid, rude and flustering comments about my ab/sci relationship.
    I dont even see us as different anymore and my personal opinion of people who would pass judgement upon us from afar
    .................well something are better left unsaid..................
    you get the point

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Some people really don't know what love is or the value of it. If you love someone truly, you don't care what they look like and in fact if someone I loved had had a stroke and lived you would see me glomming onto them every chance I got. Life is fleeting and one stroke can lead to another leaving you without the love of your life in an instant.