Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Overly sensitive?

I kept my mouth wisely shut, but have wondered what sort of marriage it must be if her very own husband had to be protected from her being temporarilly hairless.
    Eileen, my guess is this says alot about your cousin and her level of self esteem---less about her husband. Breast cancer runs rampant on both sides of my family--some of my aunts getting it twice, years apart. Each one dealt with it in their own unique way, ways that fit their personality and much less than their spouses who were all amazing, supprotive and loving men.

You do hit it right on the nail when you say,
    The gift of love is, ideally, for all time, unshakeable and constant.
    Unfortunately, all we have to do is look at the divorce rate to know that it isn't.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Eileen, my guess is this says alot about your cousin and her level of self esteem---less about her husband. Breast cancer runs rampant on both sides of my family--some of my aunts getting it twice, years apart. Each one dealt with it in their own unique way, ways that fit their personality and much less than their spouses who were all amazing, supprotive and loving men.

You do hit it right on the nail when you say, Unfortunately, all we have to do is look at the divorce rate to know that it isn't.
    You may be right Cheesecake, as I always found her husband to be a really nice guy and supportive of her in other ways. It was interesting to me because at the time I also had a good friend going through the same thing, and she decided a wig was just too damn hot in the summer and went 'au naturel' with a defiant "I don't give a damn" attitude that I greatly admired.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Thanks everybody. You actually did make me feel a lot better about my emotional reaction to what this woman said, and also the fact that I did not say anything back to her. I did just pass her a few moments ago as I went down to do laundry, but instead of talking I said I was cold (true) and was going upstairs to make tea. Clearly I need a break from her.
    I would have loved to have been there if you had retorted to her, "And you're a great kisser?"

She is not one...there are many such persons...selfish n narrow minded...give importance to outer beauty...suc h ppl neva suceed in neways..i wished you could hv shoot her back..

Quote Originally Posted by Shwetarose View Post
    She is not one...there are many such persons...selfish n narrow minded...give importance to outer beauty...suc h ppl neva suceed in neways..i wished you could hv shoot her back..
    Me too Shwetarose! Good to see you posting again. I hope all is well.

Yes eileen...Hopefully all is well and will be well if not well.......i hv forgotten DABBLAS GUNGUTELI MUNGERELAL... lol... eileen u not on fb?

Eileen, I was watching that too and about cried when she gave him a kiss. To me he looks like that same Dick Clark as always. Yea he's had a stroke but he still the same person. I thought it was beautiful. I have said before people that haven't dealt with what we are all dealing with just don't understand and they won't understand until god forbid something should happen to them or their loved ones. And then thats when the real test begins. Those that are superficial will fold quickly. I admit I look at life alot differently now than I did before David got MS and I can bet most of us here do. So we may have injuries or illness' that make us not perfect but we have more "inside" than any able bodied person ever thought of having. Hat's off to you for biting your tongue, not sure I could have been that subtle.

I don't think you were being too sensitive. But I can understand not saying anything. I probably wouldn't have either. And then, like you, I would have questioned the decision to stay quiet later.

But the reason I personally would have stayed quiet is I think a person needs to pick their battles. And in a case like this, I honestly don't think it would have made a difference if you had made the effort. People like this can't be reasoned with and they very rarely want to hear a viewpoint that does not echo their own. I think had you said something, she would have gone on the automatic defensive and retorted with something even more offensive and prejudical. Nothing you said would have mattered to her. And then you just would have ended up frustrated. Been there myself many times. That isn't to say I never speak up. But I do it far less often now. I don't know if I have become too cynical about the overall shitty human nature of some people or if I am just too worn out of trying to deal with people like that. But I tend to let it go and ignore.

Sometimes (often?) it just isn't worth it...