Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programmers

Programmers

Okay, it's confessional time. As we all know, some things are hard to admit, but I'm going to try...

I... I am a programmer. I know a few different programming/scripting languages, inluding [from first learned to most recent] LOGO, Basic, Pascal, x86 Assembly, Perl, VB, Java, VBScript, Javascript, ASP, PHP, Python, LISP, Prolog, and Haskell. I can work with C, but hate it; personal preference.

For the past few years since I have been injured, Perl has become my language of choice for most quick and dirty utilities. Like good rock to a crack-addict, regular expressions are now a feature that is hard to live without. Pascal used to be my language of choice, prior to my accident, and I still tend to use it [the FreePascal cross-compiler] for programs that require vast amounts of memory.

With my confession out of the way , are you a programmer?

What languages do you like using? What languages do you know? I'm thinking of starting a topic to put links to articles and tutorials of interest. Would you enjoy this?

-Steven
    ...and i'm proud to be an american, where at least i know i'm free, and i won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

Steven,

I mostly use VB, ASP and SQL. I do know a couple of others but haven't used them in years.

TimH

Just for web stuff. I don't care for programming (I get bored with it quickly), but I know the HTML flavors (DHTML, XHTML, etc), CSS, JavaScript, as well as bits & pieces of XML, VBScript, & Actionscript (Flash). I know my way around PHP but have never created anything w/ it.

Steven - I'm currently porting some code from Turbo Pascal to FreePascal. So far I like it. It does an amazing job. Did you see my questions on the email list? I couldn't believe how helpful everyone was in helping me get started.

When I started college in 1982 everyone was using Pascal. Then the C revolution struck, as it moved into the mainstream. I was sorry to see Turbo Pascal get pushed aside. I wrote two commercial small business apps using TP. It was a joy to work with.

Someday FreePascal will have a Graph unit for the Mac. At that point I will be totally set. I hope they hurry!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Sorry Jeff, I'm not on any mailing lists anymore. Did your questions ever get answered?

Pascal rocks. I wrote quite a number of BBS utilities for local SysOps to improve my programming skills. One of my favorites was an Ice Chat clone with split screen chat.

-Steven
    ...and i'm proud to be an american, where at least i know i'm free, and i won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

Programmer? No. Wannabe programmer? kinda... Yes

So far, learning PHP and MySQL for web development. Currently working on a CMS and user authentication application for my web site. PHP and MySQL rock!

Currently learning 00P with PHP.

-Lewis

Steven - Yes, they pointed me in the right direction for a graphics driver for Linux. Even helped me get it installed successfully. I admitted having more of a Linux question at that point but no one minded.

I've recently found FreePascal libraries for accessing both MySQL and PostgreSQL. These are what I need to really make the whole thing work. I'm upgrading the original NYU Impactor software to run on other platforms than DOS. It's a TP program which compiles nicely under FreePascal. We will even support Macintosh for everything that doesn't require graphics mode.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Cool. Isn't the Open Source community great?

FreePascal even compiles for 64-bit modes... that's a sweet little compiler.

-Steven

Steven , i have a little confession to make about my computer knowledge . during 1975 and 1976 , i did two part time courses in computer programming . the computer we used [ from memory one of only two in a city of 60,000 people ] was an IBM , about the size of four telephone boxes , it showed all ''output'' on a printer [ no screen] and programmes were ''stored'' on punchcards . languages i learnt were COBAL and FORTRAN . from 1976 until Nov 2001 i never touched another computer .i did notice a few changes when i got the computer i use now , which is also an IBM .
    thank you ,
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Dogger, yeah, I think I remember you telling me that before. It's okay, though.

My first "programming" language was LOGO, which I learned in school about seven years [second grade ] before I got my first computer; I think it helped teach me to think step-by-step.

Jeff, Tim, Scott, Lewis... what do you guys think about a thread for programming related articles/tutorials?

-Steven