Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: simple question what is the difference between spasticity and spasms?

So, are you saying theseexcruciating knots in my back that prevent me from reaching my feet or turning around in my seat or reaching for something on a shelf are not muscle spasms, as I have been calling them, but actually spasticity?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyDaisy View Post
    So, are you saying theseexcruciating knots in my back that prevent me from reaching my feet or turning around in my seat or reaching for something on a shelf are not muscle spasms, as I have been calling them, but actually spasticity?
    sure those aren't just muscles sore? i get knots in my back muscles along my spine, feels like a golf ball in there at times. i'm pretty active and sometimes they get pretty sore, almost feels like a pinched nerve sometimes.

I am not sure. I was calling them muscle spasms. They started the same time as my left leg got so weak it could not bear my weight more than a split second and I cannot lift it. I thought at first maybe I was using my back muscles to try to lift my leg, but now I am wondering if it is related to the general feeling of stiffness I have had for the past 6 or 7 months.

Oh well. I suppose it does no good at all to guess at these things. I am trying to understand what is happening to my body, but maybe that is not possible. Just say 'it is what it is, whatever it is' and go forward (as much as that is possible!).

I guess simply put-Spasms or the knotting as you describe can can be a form of spasticity
    CWO

Last night when i went to bed the vibrating on my chest got worse than during day and got better about an hour later.What i did find is the moment i press at the bottom of my right chest it start vibrating and only on one spot?

Dr Young's Input

I for one would really appreciate some more in depth detail on this from Dr Young, I'm sure you're busy but don't for get this thread please.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Colin View Post
    I for one would really appreciate some more in depth detail on this from Dr Young, I'm sure you're busy but don't for get this thread please.
    i agree, this topic has a lot of people wondering and it would help to have an understanding to the madness. it could probably be a book of info though
    Last edited by jschism; 01-27-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added

I find this very helpful.
    18 days ago while trying to raise a stuck window something cracked in my back.went to ER. took Ex rays.nothing broke but I am in constant horrible pain.
    taking the Ibruphrophen Midol and Muscle relaxers also terrible pain in my lower right side
    LET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

I too would love to learn more about spasms and spasticity. In particular, I posted this background and question on my blog:

My right leg has been my pillar of strength, which means that I tended to let it do most of the work while walking and standing and give my left leg a pass on all but the most essential movements. The primary reason for this is that muscle tone/spasm creeps into my left leg when I put pressure on the ball of my left foot. I have no idea why this is; it’s one of those strange things that happens when your nervous system is impaired. My physio is forcing me to use my left leg to stand up and do squats. The result is interesting; after the first few sit-to-stands in which I clumsily power through the tone, it seems to subside and allows my muscles to then work as they should, however weak they are. I’m noticing improvement in strength and function, and, the more I use my left leg, the less tone is present. I wonder if tone is related to lack of use or to disruption in nerve signals? It’s hard to tell as most people with SCI tone experience both.

I recommend ROM exercises if you can and also getting massages to get rid of the knots in the muscles. This goes along way but is never permanent.