Thread: Christopher & dana reeve foundation to be featured on tlc's american chopper

Christopher & dana reeve foundation to be featured on tlc's american chopper

[12.29.09 - 07:22 AM]
    CHRISTOPHER & DANA REEVE FOUNDATION TO BE FEATURED ON TLC'S AMERICAN CHOPPER
    Released by TLC
    [NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation to be featured on TLC's American Chopper

Episode to unveil Orange County Choppers' first-ever wheelchair-accessible motorcycle

SHORT HILLS, N.J., Dec. 29 -- The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation announced today that Paul Teutul Sr. and the crew from Orange County Choppers (OCC) have built a custom wheelchair-accessible motorcycle specifically to raise funds for the Reeve Foundation. A first of its kind, this trike bike allows someone living with paraplegia the opportunity to ride a motorcycle without having to transfer from their wheelchair.

The American Chopper episode featuring the Reeve Foundation/Life Rolls On bike is scheduled to air on TLC on Thursday, January 7 at 9PM ET/PT.

"Earlier this year, we approached the OCC team with the idea of creating a fully accessible, custom chopper, like only Paul's team at OCC could design and produce. Not only did they jump at the opportunity, but they embraced it and took it to a level we could have only imagined," said Peter T. Wilderotter, president and CEO of the Reeve Foundation.

read...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20091229tlc01

Shame the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation hadn't conducted some additional research. The real talent (Paul Teutul Jr.) left OCC about a year ago.

Hope they are more thorough when conducting SCI research grants.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb View Post
    Shame the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation hadn't conducted some additional research. The real talent (Paul Teutul Jr.) left OCC about a year ago.

Hope they are more thorough when conducting SCI research grants.
    if they did their research, they would have found occ chopper are a joke in the real chopper industries.
    but hey, any exposure to sci is a good thing
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I am not sure, but I feel that if Chrstopher Reeve were here, he would disagree with the way CDRF is going forward.

I like the outreach to the motorcycle world, but yeah, OCC is pretty much over without Paul Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I am not sure, but I feel that if Chrstopher Reeve were here, he would disagree with the way CDRF is going forward.
    Exactly, Paolo. I also don't think Christopher Reeve would be happy seeing as things are going out there.

Today's Care. Tomorrow's Cure.
    Their slogan alone is eloquent. They'd better help funding the SCINetUSA!

Duran:
    The new slogan: Today's Care Tomorrow's Cure represents exactly what Christopher and Dana Reeve wanted--people to have appropriate Care and Quality of Life while the Cure work continues.

Care/Cure are not mutually exclusive.

Having known and met both Christopher and Dana, I believe they would be proud of the direction their Foundation is moving in as well as the roles their children have taken on the BOD.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I watched the episode and I tend to agree that the bike did not really live up to what I thought it should.
    The fab part of the rear of the bike was something an apprentice fabricator could have come up with.
    Granted, I've never built a bike before, but I have 14 years as a welder/ fabricator on aircraft in the Air Force and also six years as a welder/fabricator on race cars in a couple of race car shops.
    The differential placement and the length and placement of the chains are pretty scary to me. If one were to break or come loose and start flying around there could be some injuries involved. Also, the possibility of chain lube and even water (if you'd happen to hit a puddle) flying all over the rider too.
    I'm glad they built the bike and that it is being used to raise funds but I hope it doesn't get ridden.

I watched the show, and thought to myself that I would love to have a bike like that, but that it just wasn't terribly practical or safe. As a way of getting publicity for the Reeve foundation it probably worked, but it would take massive para strength to be able to pull yourself up onto the platform, so it would be usable by a limited number of people with SCI, to say nothing of what it must cost.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

From the show....

I don't know if any one realizes it but when they were at OCC in the conference room the person at the table sitting closest to Senior was Jesse Billauer with Life Rolls On Foundation. Life Rolls On Foundation is a member here on Care Cure Community.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/member.php?u=2192

I don't know where this thread is going with the debate of Paul Teutul Senior vs. Paul Teutul Jr. regarding the future of OCC but they make the Baldwin Family look mildly disfunctional. Lets take a page from their dysfunction and not let the Politics thread attitude infest this thread.

While there is minimal cure for SCI at this point in time, please make progress in your own lives to improve life with SCI. It would be nice to have a perfect cure for SCI but for so many people here in the threads the back biting and bitterness appears to be their sole bane for existence