Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop issue

laptop issue

Some time ago, I accidentally installed Win XP on the D drive of an older laptop in which Windows 98, was allready installed on C drive. The system was partitioned (manufacturer settings), and had 128MB RAM.

After the accidental XP install I realized 64 meg went to XP (d drive), and 64 Meg went to Win 98 (c drive). Then I decided to manually F disk and de-partition the drives. Well, I did all of the above, but after reinstalling to original manufacturer specs (Win98), I'm still left with only 64 Meg RAM being listed on the system.

Now I realize xp and win98 use different files (hope thats the right word) of NTFS and FAT32, so is this whats causing my problem, even after re-doing the whole system? I really want to sell this laptop to a friend, but this RAM issue has been driving me nuts. Can you computer guru's help me any? Thanks!

btw, I'm no computer professional (haha), I'm just one of those "putzing" around.

"I guess pain is a great motivator."- Yanni

[This message was edited by Lizbv on 05-31-04 at 05:31 PM.]

Liz:

What is the speed of the processor on the laptop? Windows XP may not work well with 64MB or 128MB of RAM. Do you want to run Windows 98 and Windows XP on the same hard drive?

Multibooting

Microsoft Knowledge Base

PN

From this novice perspective, I dont think the software issues have anything to do with this. As most laptops have room for 2 memory modules, and manufacturers like to fill them up to the spec'ed RAM level (cheaper that way), perhaps checking if in fact both modules are fully seated/actually present? This sounds more like the problem you are describing.

I want to return it to its original state. Win98, 128MB RAM, 586MHZ (I believe). The XP was a "mistake".

Currently, its stating only 64MB RAM

Originally posted by *Andy*:

From this novice perspective, I dont think the software issues have anything to do with this. As most laptops have room for 2 memory modules, and manufacturers like to fill them up to the spec'ed RAM level (cheaper that way), perhaps checking if in fact both modules are fully seated/actually present? This sounds more like the problem you are describing.
    everything was fine until I accidentally put the XP on. That is why I'm thinking perhaps this is a NTFS/FAT32 compatability sharing issue between the two? Thx

I believe that when you install Winxp, NTFS is installed automatically. You can remove NTFS and all partitions using a free utility called "Delete Partition", delpart.exe. After deleting NTFS and all partitions, you will have to install a file system before you install your operating system.

If you want to install Win98, first delete all partitions using "Delete Partition", and then use fdisk to make one partition (or as many as you like) with fat32.

If installing Winxp, you don't need "Delete Partition", because Winxp install can delete all partitions including NTFS. Personaly, I would back up data, and install Winxp deleting ALL partitions. I would install Winxp on one NTFS partition.

After installing Winxp, install service pack 1 (using windows update). Next, check notebook website for motherboard chipset and other drivers, install them, and then install other updates at windows update including directx 9b.

Delete Partition:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...718/13718.html

Steve

Liz,

NTFS and FAT32 are differing types of file systems. They just are different ways of storing and recalling data on your hard drive.

RAM is like short-term memory and has nothing to do with the NTFS/FAT32 issue. What may have happened is that you were lied to when you got the laptop, or one of your RAM chips went bad and is no longer being recognized.

You can read about file systems here, but there are annoying pop-ups.

-Steven
    ...some people live for the fortune, some people live just for the fame, some people live for the power yeah, some people live just to play the game

Originally posted by KeyBored:

I believe that when you install Winxp, NTFS is installed automatically.
    Hi Steve, do you believe the NTFS caused this issue? When I F Disked, I deleted the partition and made all FAT32 files.

However- Good point on checking for motherboard chipset, ect from website. I may find the issue there, since this occurance.

Thanks Steven, I understand the difference, but they are correlated now because I did not have the RAM "issue" until having both NTFS and FAT32 files on each partition.

Fdisk will not remove an NTFS partition. Ram is not allocated to a particular drive or partition. You may be confusing ram with hard drive space. When your laptop boots up, hit the pause key to read the system info. Ram is usually displayed. You can also see ram anmount by right clicking My Computer and clicking on "Properties".

I still think your best option is to back-up data, run winxp CD, follow onscreen instructions to delete all partitions, and install winxp on one NTFS partition.

Steve

Well, no sense arguing as I don't need to. I do understand the difference, however I guess you all don't see that written in my words. I'll just keep putzing around with it and call my IT friends at work. I guess I come accross as incompetent. take care.

I'll try to do a follow up post.

Eine Welf, Ein Volk