Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Router?

Last night the tech from my ISP had me look on both of my computers to make sure they had both automatically assigned a new IP address. My laptop wasn't on that already it had a manual IP addy typed in that it used each time. The desktop was already set to assign automatically.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

McDuff might take you up on that offer, but today probably won't work I've got running to do & stuff to get done. My schedule is pretty open tho this weekend if you are around. I'll PM later about setting up a time that works. thanks!

Sounds good, nothing planned this weekend.

Happy New Year.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Gurly,
    I haven't read all the posts to know all the advice you have gotten, but you do not need a new router. PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) is the most common protocol (rules for sending data, eg addressing, data verification) used by DSL carriers, although your ISP SHOULD have been able to tell you for sure if this is the connection they use. If you use cable, not DSL, you should be using a "Dynamic" connection type under the WAN (wide area network) settings instead of "PPPoE". By default (when you reset), most routers will revert to PPPoE.

IMO, Zeus nailed it, the problem you are having is in the way IP addresses are being assigned. Each computer should have their own address assigned. My best guess is the problem is with the computer that has the IP address set as being assigned "manually", while others are set for dynamic. I could be wrong, but if you change that one setting to having your PC assigned dynamically, I bet your problems will be fixed. The only other thing you might have to do is to make sure you have the "DHCP Server" function in your router turned on (probably somewhere under LAN or local area network settings). It allows your router to act as a server to several computers by assigning them different addresses dynamically or "on the fly". I don't have a linksys but typically you need to provide a range for the IP addresses that can be assigned to the devices on your network. Just type the number "2" in the last box of the first IP address (x.x.x.2) asked for, and anywhere between 10-100 in the last box of the second IP address (x.x.x.100). This allows you to have 9 - 99 devices on your network.

Alternatively, you can turn off DHCP and manually assign each device an IP address. For example, if your router's IP is 192.168.x.1, you could assign your laptop 198.168.x.3 and your XBox 198.168.x.4 (198.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x addresses are all okay to use, reserved as local network, but 99% of the rest are no-nos!)
    Think of them like postal addresses. Either they can always be the same (set manually by you); or you can let the router hand out the addresses for you (dynamic) as needed, depending on how many devices are logged on at any given time. Once set up, the router can do this job very efficiently.

Then the next hurdle is setting up security, you know. If you have wireless, you really don't want to leave all your doors wide open to intruders. But that's a whole 'nother post......... At least change the default password for your router from "admin" though (so a hacker can't take over your router and lock you out), encrypt all your outgoing traffic, and if your router lets you, set up a second password you can give to guests to let them use your internet connection if wanted.

Good luck. I hope this all helps it make a little more sense to you and doesn't just confuse you more. I'm sure you will figure it out!

Well I got a new router today thanks to my boyfriend I was going to get Linksys help on setting it up & then once I knew what to do I'd do it to my old one & return. Scarew that! It's still not hooked up!!! The Cd-rom couldn't do it & I was just on the phone with Linksys for 2 hours!! We've tried everything!!! He said he needs to research more ideas & will call me back. OMGosh. When we were at the store buying it we talked to two associates about it. They were like oh you just gotta do this n' this to the old one~WRONG! I dunno what this Linksys guy is going to figure out just hope it gets figured out quick! I'm soooo sick of messing with it!

Did the new router act just like the old one?

If so, then there must be some kind of weird interaction of dsl and router going on.

Try this:

Leave the old one hooked up like before. Using a computer that is plugged into the router, log into router, and under the Wireless Settings, turn the "radio" off. This will disable wireless on this one. Then unplug computer from here.

Now, "piggyback" the new router "behind" the old one. That is plug the new one into an output port of the old one, while the old is still hooked to the modem. This way the old router will only ever "see" one thing connected to internet and will be happy.

Now plug computer into the new router, and see if you can also connect wirelessly to it. Or just plug both into it for a quick check to see if you can have more than one computer connected to internet at the same time.

Depending on what all you tweaked trying to set new one up, might possible have to change some settings "back" in the new one, not sure.

This is the way I am setup. I have Verizon FiOS and they did not want to give me their password for "their" router, so I just hooked into it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Well I got a new router today thanks to my boyfriend I was going to get Linksys help on setting it up & then once I knew what to do I'd do it to my old one & return. Scarew that! It's still not hooked up!!! The Cd-rom couldn't do it & I was just on the phone with Linksys for 2 hours!! We've tried everything!!! He said he needs to research more ideas & will call me back. OMGosh. When we were at the store buying it we talked to two associates about it. They were like oh you just gotta do this n' this to the old one~WRONG! I dunno what this Linksys guy is going to figure out just hope it gets figured out quick! I'm soooo sick of messing with it!
    Is the new router not working at all, or is it just doing the same as before? If the same as before, I am certain dunwawry and I are right - the issue is purely an IP conflict.

You really need somebody to visit your place and set it up. Doesn't your boyfriend have any tech savvy friends?

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Is the new router not working at all, or is it just doing the same as before? If the same as before, I am certain dunwawry and I are right - the issue is purely an IP conflict.

You really need somebody to visit your place and set it up. Doesn't your boyfriend have any tech savvy friends?

Chris.
    Look back 65 posts to #3 of this thread.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I PM'ed her that she should do, and included command syntax on how to release/renew IP's for each computer yesterday. Not sure if she did or not.

And hopefully all the phone techs would have suggested that too.

Well I spent 5 hours on the phone last nite with Linksys. I let them onto my computer through remote & still NOTHING. They said my new router has a defect & want me to take it back n' exchange for new one. Ugh. So as of now I am using my old router again & only connecting to one at a time.

The problem I was having with the new router was it wouldn't go wireless. Once it would go wireless it would only last a couple seconds. Didn't have any problems with IP conflict.