Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Router?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    My guess is that you need to configure both your router's wireless settings as well as your computers to use DHCP. You need change both at the same time. The manual and help for your router is here, I don't have that router or I could give more help.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G
    Did you see the Ask Linksys on his link?

It might help.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I pressed & held the reset button.

McDuff- Just seen your post. I was able to access the router page, using the username as blank & admin for password. But later on it asked me to change the settings to PPPoE (no clue what that is or means) and to do so it asks for a username & password that your ISP provided you with.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Actually, that router works (more or less) right out of the box.

Linksys was not happy with me that I had no connection other than wireless (don't ask, didn't have a cable lol) but it was possible to get everything set up wireless from the get-go.

They had me tweak some settings, but basically I did just plug it in, and it worked.

OK, so it's reset to the factory settings.

Not a criticism, but just for future reference you'll probably not want to do that again. It seems like a good idea, but then you lose all your own custom settings, which doesn't usually work too well.

Oh, sorry.

You then do need to call the isp and first ask if they are using PPPoE, and if so what is your username and pswd(they should have sent/given this to you when you signed up).
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Well I just got off the phone with my ISP tech support. She was like you shouldn't have to be on PPPoE you should be able to just connect with DHCP. She tried looking up some answers for me & said the only thing she can suggest is since I have the internet to google my problem & ask for help on forums.

I'm wondering if I should just try PPPoE anyways..I'm just afraid of screwing everything up & ending up with no internet at all.

Well worst case you can plug the computer into the DSL modem, and not use the router. But that would not be much fun.

Personally, if I were in your position, I might be very tempted to just buy a new router, that is supported. That of course depends upon the cost, and I can understand if you don't want to.

That said - if you don't mind, can you post just what exactly the error message is? And what you're doing when you get that error message? It might help.

Just curious, was that Max User setting, set low?

I don't think switching to PPPoE is gonna solve your problem, seems like it should be on your end. But your router is sensing DSL so thinks you should be on it.

But did some reading and it says most DSL providers do use PPPoE, so who knows. If you have your ISP useri/pswd, you could try switching. You should be able to go back to DHCP if it kills your internet.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Well worst case you can plug the computer into the DSL modem, and not use the router. But that would not be much fun.

Personally, if I were in your position, I might be very tempted to just buy a new router, that is supported. That of course depends upon the cost, and I can understand if you don't want to.

That said - if you don't mind, can you post just what exactly the error message is? And what you're doing when you get that error message? It might help.
    Well I will be on my desktop & turn on my laptop then I will get a message on my desktop saying IP conflict and then the internet doesn't work, but will work on the laptop.

Ya I'm thinking tmrw go buy a new router & then call linksys asap and have them on the phone with me from opening the box till I'm browsing the web!!

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Just curious, was that Max User setting, set low?

I don't think switching to PPPoE is gonna solve your problem, seems like it should be on your end. But your router is sensing DSL so thinks you should be on it.

But did some reading and it says most DSL providers do use PPPoE, so who knows. If you have your ISP useri/pswd, you could try switching. You should be able to go back to DHCP if it kills your internet.
    I don't know what the max user setting is or how to check it.