Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Router?

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    I agree that the router is probably fine, and that it is settings.

But, the one thing that a new router would fix, if you can't solve this another way, is that you would then have technical support and they would probably help you to get it all going.
    Ya, I was considering just getting another one or at least going to the store to shop for one & sweet talk the sales associate into explaining to me what was wrong or slipping him some money under the table to come to my house n' fix it for me! I have a feeling its something very simple...I just can't seem to tackle it!

BTW..I moved into my house, got a new internet provider & hooked it up with no problems. All of my computers worked. Well I switched ISP and now can only get one to work at a time. Do you think it has anything to do with switching from cable to dial-up??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Oh, yes, that certainly could do it.

With cable, you have a fixed IP address. With dial-up, you get a different address each time.

I haven't used dial-up in ages, but I wonder how that would work wireless with two computers at once. Or if it's even possible?

Hopefully this will give one of the others the hint they need to tell you how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    BTW..I moved into my house, got a new internet provider & hooked it up with no problems. All of my computers worked. Well I switched ISP and now can only get one to work at a time. Do you think it has anything to do with switching from cable to dial-up??
    That definitely makes me think it is a problems with the settings, either on the router or the computer.

It doesn;t matter if the router is in a room w. a computer. We have our modem in the basement, the router in my daughter's room, and computers all over the place.

Don't worry too much about messing it up so much you have no internet. You can always plug your laptop in directly to the dsl, and just not have wireless while you work at it.

Any friends of friends who are computer geeks?

Any high school kids providing computer help as a job?

I think TAM is right about dsl giving you a different isp every time. The first computer to log in, gets that new isp. The other computers will have that one too, but for some reason, they aren;t getting it.

Look at the router manual, is the any settings as to 1 or more computers? Otherwise, concentrate on the computers, it is probably setting for them.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sorry..I lied. I have DSL..it goes thru the phone jack but is always connected. I don't have to dial up each time. I believe its called DSL & its highspeed.

I've already called my ISP and they told me I can have more than one computer connected.

EDIT: IS DSL & DIAL UP THE SAME THING?? NO CLUE.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Another thought. When you switched to the new provider. Did you just plug everything in, and be pleased to find that it works?

Or did you actually go through, and set up the network?

It may be as simple as doing this: (before the edits, the picture directly followed this.)

EDITED TO ADD!!! You would probably have to remove them from the network first. Before doing this, you might want to be SURE you can plug the laptop in directly, and it will work as NON-wireless.

EDITED AGAIN ... both dsl and dialup use the phone lines. But dialup was like back when you were on aol, and had to call up every time. DSL is different. But you might get a different isp every time, where on a cable modem, it is always the same. Hence, needing new settings. OUrs is cable, so I am not sure.

Last edited by sjean423; 12-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Sorry..I lied. I have DSL..it goes thru the phone jack but is always connected. I don't have to dial up each time. I believe its called DSL & its highspeed.

I've already called my ISP and they told me I can have more than one computer connected.

EDIT: IS DSL & DIAL UP THE SAME THING?? NO CLUE.
    No, DSL and dial-up are entirely different.

Ignore everything I said recently, you don't have dial-up.

Going back to my days doing tech support, can I ask the following questions:

1) OK, you get on one computer and it works. Then, you try the second computer - and do what exactly? And what is the exact error message that you get?

2) What do you have to do to "switch" computers - I mean, to get the other one working instead of the first one... turn off something? or....?

Gurly, did you see my post above?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Just noticed your post McDuff (oops).

I also just noticed she said she reset the router - I am wondering, reset how? Turned off? Pressed and held reset button? ....?

She may have set it all back to the factory default settings.

Edit: that's the same router I have actually, shame I have cable so that probably won't help any.

TAM, must still have settings right or she'd be DOA, so guessing just a power off/on.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"