Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Router?

Router?

I've ran into a problem hoping maybe someone can help. Here it is..

I just switched internet providers this past summer. I have a desktop computer & a laptop. They are both wireless, but the problem is I can only use one or the other. I am not able to use both at the same time. Same with xbox live..I have to choose between xbox or computer I'm not able to use both at the same time. I get a message that says IP conflict. My assumption is that the router does work because I'm getting a connection..just not to both. I called my internet provider & they said I should be able to connect more than one computer. They told me it was my router....So I reset the router, turned everything off, waited a couple minutes. Still nothing. I have no idea what to do??? Do I need a new router?? I have no idea, but I want this fixed

Anyone have any ideas??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Call the tech support for the router. I have a linksys, and they've always helped me get things to work when needed.

One thing to try first - turn everything off. Then turn them on again, in this order (waiting for each to fully come up before turning the next on)

1) turn on cable modem
    2) turn on router
    3) turn on computer(s)

Probably won't fix it, but it does sometimes.

Does each device have a unique IP address?
    Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I've ran into a problem hoping maybe someone can help. Here it is..

I just switched internet providers this past summer. I have a desktop computer & a laptop. They are both wireless, but the problem is I can only use one or the other. I am not able to use both at the same time. Same with xbox live..I have to choose between xbox or computer I'm not able to use both at the same time. I get a message that says IP conflict. My assumption is that the router does work because I'm getting a connection..just not to both. I called my internet provider & they said I should be able to connect more than one computer. They told me it was my router....So I reset the router, turned everything off, waited a couple minutes. Still nothing. I have no idea what to do??? Do I need a new router?? I have no idea, but I want this fixed

Anyone have any ideas??
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember some different router settings for the different internet providers.

Also, in the dim recesses of memory here, I seem to remember some problem with IP addresses being mis-assigned somehow when the devices were powered on all at once, or other than in the order I listed above.

What brand and model router is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Does each device have a unique IP address?
    I'm not sure??

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    What brand and model router is it?
    It's linksys model WRT54G v.3

good info. What operating system are you using? An example would be Windows XP, SP 3 or one of the Macintosh versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    It's linksys model WRT54G v.3
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

My desktop is XP and my laptop is Vista.

Update: I just tried calling Linksys customer support to see if they could help me. They said my serial number is listed as being out of warranty and not qualify for support.

Oh bummer, sorry to hear that. I hope the forum folks can figure it out, that was all I knew