Thread: boiled foot

boiled foot

So I have a bucket with two sides which I use to soak my feet with epson salts when they get edema and such. Last night I put in warm water, same water both sides and soaked my feet for about an hour. Left foot is fine, right foot came out looking like hamburger. Same temp. water on both sides. Second degree burns on all my toes and the bridge of my foot.

Always use a thermometer when doing something like this. A thermometer for tubs and showers is also highly advised. Avoid any water temperatures over about 104 F.

If you have blisters, but no black areas, you probably do indeed have second degree burns. Burns on the hands or feet should be treated by a physician. You need to see your PCP today, or go to the ER. Keep the involved foot elevated as swelling would be expected. Don't pop any of the blisters, and keep any that have popped already covered with a sterile dressing.

(KLD)

Your tissues change as your foot swells. Blood circulation becomes tighter (because the tissues are tightened) and your skin will react more.

Check with the nurse - but I don't see a reason to soak your foot in epsom salts, ESPECIALLY when it's swollen?

No idea why it happened to one foot and not the other.

It will only heal now if you absolutely keep swelling out - so above your heart it goes ... and keep infection out!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yikes! As I love gory stuff, I'm kinda wanting a pic.

I was also told soaking would cause further swelling...never tried anything but rubbing the fluid upward & propping myself.

Good luck with healing. Feet + sores = not good.

As an ab I sprained an ankle then soaked it. Wrong. It tripled in size and pain.
    I had a motorcycles' hot muffler burn the inside of my leg from thigh to ankle. Didn't want to tell Mom cause 1. motorcycle, 2. bare legs, 3. barefoot, 4. no helmet. Was going to summer school. I woke to my sheet stuck to my leg and had to gingerly tear it off. My Dad drove me an hour early each a.m. on his way to work. We still had to wear skirts-dresses to school. So far, so good the burn as it was on the inside of my left leg. The longer I sat staring at it in class the more I knew I was busted. Instead of my usual walk to the beach, I walked to the family doc instead. Degree burns part needing grafts. Not grounded either. I guess they decided no swimming for the rest of the summer was enough. The next summer I spent in rehab as a quad.

As lack of proper circulation stresses those tissues that make up our skin, our 'skin' (made up of those tissues, once again) becomes 'starved' of oxygen, nutrients because the blood (containing our oxygen and nutrients) can't get to it.

There is currently no test for micro-capilliary blood flow, ask a diabetic.

Taking the pulse or blood pressure of a foot means nothing (well we hope you have a pulse and blood flow to start with, lol).

Soaking such a limb in water .. salt water no less! .. separates those tissues until they starve to 'death' with no nutrients or oxygen because blood is constricted from getting to them ... bingo, wound.

As least that's my interpretation and what I've learned. Someone who's studied medicine could probably explain it better or correct me where I've wronged.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

unbelievable. you'd better pray you can get through this with no serious complications. you're looking at months of down time to keep pressure off these wounds. may need antibiotics, silvidine. i use sheets of spenco second skin on 2nd deg wounds. expensive stuff. change 1-2x/day, clean with wound cleaning spray.

IMO, to control edema, you can use air compression garments. more effective and safer.

good luck on your journey. eat more protein to help with the skin repair.

Decided to hit the clinic today. They freaked and sent me to the E.R. IV antibiotics and a light debride of the little piggies. More IV antibiotics tomorrow as well as Levaquin. Other than the IV antibiotics I probably could have taken care of everything but I suppose going to the Dr. was the right choice. Here's to an uneventful 2010.

Man, that sucks! Something so dumb like that turns into a big deal...hope its better than what everyone is saying & it heals quickly. SCI sucks. I'm prone to those stupid little accidents too unfortunately.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.