Thread: A meaningful New Year's resolution

A meaningful New Year's resolution

to me is filling out a Living Will or Health Care Directive, I believe they are one in the same.

It not only lets your family and or loved ones know what your wishes are but gives you peace of mind knowing they will get carried out by law. It also clears confusion if an emergency situation should happen. It can be filled out in your own home without the help of a lawyer, can be changed whenever you want and it is free. Pretty amazing huh!

They are basically the same thing.

The other thing you might want to do, is a Durable Health Care Power of Attorney. That designates a person of your choice to make health care decisions for you, in the event that you are unable to make them yourself.

Oh yes TAM63, a Durable Health Care Power of Attorney would be named, without one the whole doccument would be pretty much be meaningless unless I'd want some Dr. or stranger to make my decisions if I no longer could. Thanks!

You're welcome

As far as I am aware (at least here in Illinois) those are two completely separate documents. At least that is how we have completed them.

I would imagine the forms change somewhat from state to state. Here you list who you would want for POA on the same form and you can get the living will itself from your Dr.

imo, that makes more sense actually - to combine the two.