Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I discovered the hard way why they're called "notebooks" not "laptops"

I discovered the hard way why they're called "notebooks" not "laptops"

With a nice 2" round burn on my leg, blister and all.

I blame the Steam holiday sale. 3D games turn my lapto... notebook into a hotplate.

belkin laptop fan. keeps the book elevated off of you and fan prevents overheating.

My Logitech has a built-in 4-way hub. Neato, plus, no more burns (I did that too, so don't feel like you're the first).
    Take care of that blister!

Margie in Frigid Florida

Bummer.

The dumb thing is that I have a nice lap desk just for using the computer but I don't always use it. Guess I will now!

Laptops and notebooks are getting dangerous hot after some hours. You know it is possible to buy a cooler to put under them? I have had three laptops and one notebook and they all get the same hot
    TH 12, 43 years post

Hi I bought a Targus kool pad 2 big 3 inch fans
    $29 with a extra usb optical mouse and Carry case at Walmart I like theTargus chill mat fan doodag very nice when I am playing games .
    Good luck

Everybody loves icky pictures, right?

burn_1: the blister

burn_2: after the blistery skin fell off

burn_3: finally scabbed over, it still looks like this after a month

Interestingly, I didn't put anything on the burn, not even a band aid. I just watched it for signs of infection, which didn't occur even though it was open for a week before the scab formed.

Oh my!!! The second photo looks like a stage 2 or 3 pressure sore. Glad it's finally scabbing over. Now that it's dry you may want to rub lotion over it so the scab will come off more easily on its own. At least that's what I did when I burned the top of my hand.

I just recently started to notice how hot my 10" acer gets when I take it to bed with me. The bedding would get quite warm. I have normal feeling on my left leg so I wasn't too concerned about burns, just possible fire from bedding getting too hot. Kinda made me nervous at first but the battery doesn't last for more than two hours so I should be safe. Hope you heal quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    I just recently started to notice how hot my 10" acer gets when I take it to bed with me. The bedding would get quite warm. I have normal feeling on my left leg so I wasn't too concerned about burns, just possible fire from bedding getting too hot. Kinda made me nervous at first but the battery doesn't last for more than two hours so I should be safe. Hope you heal quickly.
    I don't think it's possible for a processor to get hot enough to start a fire. Most materials won't ignite under 400F, and computer chips usually shut down before they reach 250F or so. So no worries there!

The burn is healing up nicely, thanks. It's leaving a nice scar though, a reminder to keep these things off my lap.