Thread: colostomy questions???

colostomy questions???

My husband has been struggeling with his bowel program for 2 years now. He has tried everything and has not had any improvement. He is begining to consider getting a colostomy.
    We would love to hear from people who have had this procedure! Please let us know the pros and cons so he can make a good decision.
    I have heard from people that they can pop off at different times. That doesnt sound any better than having bowel acciednts.
    What about the skin break down?
    How do you take care of it?
    Can you go swimming?
    What ever you can offer we would appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    My husband has been struggeling with his bowel program for 2 years now. He has tried everything and has not had any improvement. He is begining to consider getting a colostomy.
    We would love to hear from people who have had this procedure! Please let us know the pros and cons so he can make a good decision.
    I have heard from people that they can pop off at different times. That doesnt sound any better than having bowel acciednts.
    What about the skin break down?
    How do you take care of it?
    Can you go swimming?
    What ever you can offer we would appreciate!
    had 1 for 3 yrs love it yes occassionally it will come off but far better than bp also traveling everything is better yes go swiming life is better

Vjls thanks for your reply. Can you give more details? Just wondering about body image issues. I am worried about it with intamacy.
    What do you do with it to go swimming???
    How often does it pop off? Can you still get diareha and over fill the bag?
    I hear lots of good stuff but want to know the down sides also, thanks!

put "colostomy" in search here, and you will find more than you have time to read from us with them

T7-8 since Feb 2005

It's not the perfect solution .... but it beats watching the birds in the trees outside the window for 2 plus hours every other day doing a bowel program (and still having occasional accidents)
    It wasn't elective for Bill .. it was an emergency decision made during a gut surgery gone bad .... but he opted not to have it reversed because it improved his quality of life tremendously .
    Good luck ...

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I had an ileostomy done in early 2008 and LOVE it! The difference between a colostomy and an ileostomy is that a colostomy uses part of your colon for the stoma and an ileostomy uses your small intestine for the stoma. Most people who have ileostomies done have had their colons completely removed. I had my colon removed in '08 and rectum/anus in '09 due to only 1/2 of my colon functioning and starting to tear in several spots.
    Yes, sometimes the appliances do pop off, especially if you don't empty them often enough or if they fill up with air too much, but most of the time, they stay on quite well. I only have mine leak once in a while now, and mainly it at night, when it fills up a lot due to being on a feeding pump all night long.
    As far as swimming, I go swimming 3 days a week at the local YMCA without any problems. If you search online, I know there are companies that make bathing suits for men and women with ostomies that have a sewn-in pouch to hold the appliance while swimming.

Its rather easy to take care of an ostomy. You usually only have to change the appliance once or twice a week, and empty it a couple times a day (depending on if you have a colostomy or ileostomy). Some people are able to irrigate their colostomy and go without an appliance, but most people at the ostomy support group I go to don't do this and just wear the appliance 24/7.
    Go to www.uoaa.org and ask several people on their discussion board about colostomies. This is the site where I got TONS of help prior to my surgery. They also have links to companies that make appliances and stuff.

Jessie
    (hereditary spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)