Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: super sad stepdaughter

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

One day at a time

Dear blake7979,

Hang in there. Having been the one who was horizontal in a hospital bed, your visits make a HUGE difference in our recovery.

One thing that helped me was to make a list of things from home that care providers could bring to the hospital. It kept my mind off the continuous dread of thinking of how my life had changed. It also gave me the goal to get the hell out of the hospital.

Life might have changed but it is FAR from over,

Meagan,
    Hang in there. He is lucky to have you watching out for him. My son was injured almost three years ago. I know what a blur the time in the hospital can be. Make sure to take care of yourself too. We found comedy dvds to be fun to watch. Laughter goes a long way.
    Take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I am sorry to hear about your stepdad. My daughter was injured a year ago. This is the hardest obstacle that our family or any family will ever have to experience. Your stepdad needs to feel your support and dedication. He is going to need you as much as you can be there for him.

I thought of something I really liked, that you could bring. A lightweight sleeping bag or comforter, with the nylon shell, was heaven.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em comin :P
    Does anyone know how many hours the surgery usually takes? He went in at about 12 and I haven't heard anything yet

Well, his surgery went well, but I haven't figured out what they did exactly. I think it took about 6 hours. I did figure out that he is going to a rehab center in Austin that specialized in SCI's (I don't know what it's called) after he heals up from the surgery.

Meagan...

Welcome to CC... I'm so glad your step-father's surgery went well... please keep us posted as he is transferred to rehab.

Love,

Sieg

Good news, they are starting to wean him off the ventilator! Other than that, he's still recovering from the surgery. He is in quite a bit of pain of course. Does anyone know the typical healing time for this type of surgery? I still haven't gotten any answers as to what part of the cord is damaged and what the surgery consisted of.

Wonderful news.

Acute recovery from stabilization surgery is relatively rapid, although pain may continue at the surgical site for a number of months. It takes at least 3 months for the bone to heal so that it is strong enough to not need a neck brace, and up to a year for complete bone healing and remodeling to take place. This is completely separate from any neurologic return that may occur.

(KLD)