My stepdad got in a wreck on Thanksgiving. He broke C5 and has a hematoma pressing on his spinal cord. He is at Scott and White in Temple, TX. They are doing surgery soon to try and remove the clot. Does that mean that he may regain some movement back? He can move a little bit but it's mostly involuntary movement like when he's being suctioned and stuff. I don't know if he is ASIA A or B or what. He is trached so he can't talk, but they are putting a speaking cannula in when he has visitors and he is still trying to learn how to make sounds. We put it in for a minute today and it was really bothering him so we took it right back out. I just feel so horrible for him because he's really really depressed and scared. His nurse told me today that he will probably never walk again but may have enough movement to use a power chair. I just don't know what to do, I visit him every day but it's very stressful not being able to lipread everything he says. He doesn't want me to leave either so I feel really bad when I do have to leave. I wish I could stay there and keep him company all the time but I can't. I don't even know why I'm writing on here, I guess I just need some comforting from people who know what we are going through. I don't want him to die, and I want him to get his movement back! It's so hard to stay positive when I see him so depressed. I know a lot of people here have been told they would never walk again and they are walking now, but I don't know if he will be that lucky. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do or say to make him feel better?