Thread: Another Language?

Another Language?

Anyone try Rosetta Stone? Do tell if so?

it's really expensive i used pimsluer language course to learn turkish and it is awesome and cheaper

Use music. It's cheap and more amusing. Search the Internet for the lyrics to the song, paste them in a document, and begin translating the song and keeping the document to work on and go back for reference. Your knowledge of the language will expand as you work to translate accurately and you will reinforce what you've learned by having the document saved and the music to enjoy. I taught myself French this way.

Thats an excellent Idea!
    I think that the kids shows help also. Seseme Street and things like this. Are an easy tool. It helps that my children are small so Im being tortured anyway! HA

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Use music. It's cheap and more amusing. Search the Internet for the lyrics to the song, paste them in a document, and begin translating the song and keeping the document to work on and go back for reference. Your knowledge of the language will expand as you work to translate accurately and you will reinforce what you've learned by having the document saved and the music to enjoy. I taught myself French this way.

I used rosetta stone to "learn" cantonese. I really didn't feel I got my money's worth, but I was able to get from airport to hotel and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Loves2rescue View Post
    Thats an excellent Idea!
    I think that the kids shows help also. Seseme Street and things like this. Are an easy tool. It helps that my children are small so Im being tortured anyway! HA
    Of course, any time you make learning an amusement, your brain absorbs the information more effectively than if being forced to learn. The brain must be receptive to what it's receiving. This is also why we tend to remember tragic events or milestones in our lives so vividly because the brain's synapses work faster connecting to one another in times of stress and amusement.

Use the tv. You must have programs in other languages than English with subtitles. Or buy movies in the originale language with subtitles.

But you need to know some before you start on that.
    TH 12, 43 years post

True story

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Of course, any time you make learning an amusement, your brain absorbs the information more effectively than if being forced to learn. The brain must be receptive to what it's receiving. This is also why we tend to remember tragic events or milestones in our lives so vividly because the brain's synapses work faster connecting to one another in times of stress and amusement.