Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New policy: Ban of commercial weblinks (URL) in member signature or homepage link

Quote Originally Posted by davidseopao View Post
    commercial links cannot harm the site but instead it adds more traffic to the site all kinds of people visiting the site. fyi
    FYI thats your opinion and you are welcome to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelcerak View Post
    Can I have a blog ... leave a link in the signature? There's no advertising, just looking and placed liked me information.
    Nope.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

We are banning all new registrants who have a commercial website link in their signature. Please do not put commercial links in your signature. Wise.

Have there always been so many spammers here, or does it just seem like it's increasing lately? Is there some weird impression out there that the sci community has a lot of disposable income?

Sometimes you have to laugh at the total ineptitude of these people, but it's also kind of sickening that they have no qualms about invading anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Have there always been so many spammers here, or does it just seem like it's increasing lately? Is there some weird impression out there that the sci community has a lot of disposable income?

Sometimes you have to laugh at the total ineptitude of these people, but it's also kind of sickening that they have no qualms about invading anywhere.
    The flood began about 4 years ago. We get more spammers than legitimate registrants every day. Steven and I ban a dozen or more spammers every day. Wise.

Hearing about SPAM always reminds me of a skit by the Monty Python troop.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Is there some weird impression out there that the sci community has a lot of disposable income?
    Not to pick on anyone, but Betheny's (hi!) cell phone tracker post seems to be attracting most of them. (5,400 clicks over the last month!) I recently started hiding posts that bring us spammers in Members Only so Google won't rank us highly for spam-friendly search terms.

There's another post (about red catheter tubes) that brings us other people looking for a similarly named adult version of YouTube. It's in Care, so I'm debating whether or not to move it. (It brought us 210 clicks over the last month.)
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Nit picking...

While thinking about reducing spamming, I looked back at the CCC registration process. I think I spotted a typo in the process. Under Forum rules, note the similarity of the first two paragraphs.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Care Cure does very well in getting rid of spam. I run another chat forum using the same software as CC, but is not published or nearly as popular. It gets about two dozen spam posts a day, but I rarely see any such posts here.

Steven and Wise do very well, we should be happy with the work they do, even when it's not seen.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    While thinking about reducing spamming, I looked back at the CCC registration process. I think I spotted a typo in the process. Under Forum rules, note the similarity of the first two paragraphs.
    Thanks. Let me ask Steven to take a look. Wise.