Thread: fungal infection

fungal infection

I currently have a fungal infection on my thighs and my crotch. It itches a little. I've never heard of or had a fungal infection before. I've had it off and on for about a month. I started Chlorthalidone and Metropolol for blood pressure control about a month ago too. I also take Coumadin. Is this a bad mix of meds? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Try dusting with a little antifungal powder that has Micanozole in it (we currently are using Zeasorb; I expect the brand isn't important). It works well and fast for us.

Fungal infections like this are generally due to moisture on the skin. Is the infection dry and scaly, or is it moist and weepy? Are you leaking urine, have diarrhea, or do you sweat excessively in the area?

Bathe the area twice daily with mild soap and water, dry well, and get into the "frog position" for an hour to let the area dry and get plenty of air circulation. Then apply either an antifungal cream or powder (like the ones mentioned above and used for athlete's foot). Rub any cream in well, and if using the powder, dust it on, and then brush off any excess with your hand. Don't let it thickly cake.

If it does not improve with this treatment in 7-10 days, see your physician. You may need stronger antifungal products.

None of the meds you are on are associated with fungal infections. Diabetes can be though, so if you have not been recently tested for this, and the fungal infection does not go away with simple treatment, or reoccurs, you should be tested for this.

(KLD)

Nystatin powder is good stuff too.

Soaking in an Epsom salt bath can soothe the itching as well as help to dry out the fungus growing on your skin or nails.
    Another popular and inexpensive remedy is apple cider vinegar. You can soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and apply it to the affected area for a few minutes at a time.
    An herbal remedy from India that can also be used for other skin conditions like acne is turmeric. Make a paste of turmeric powder (found in the spice aisle of your grocery store) and water, milk or aloe vera. Dab it on the rash or nails and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse with warm, not hot, water.