Thread: rip vic chesnutt

rip vic chesnutt

He had been in a coma after taking an overdose of muscle relaxants earlier this week, said the family spokesman, Jem Cohen.
    "With my lightnin' bolts a glowin'
    I can see where I am goin' to be
    when the reaper he reaches and touches my hand."

The obits call him a para but his hands look quad to me. Sad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    The obits call him a para but his hands look quad to me. Sad deal.
    Hi Betheny,

Vic Chesnutt was a quad.

Here's are a couple excerpts from an NPR interview:

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcr...ryId=120978388

Mr. CHESTNUTT: Well, I'm a quadriplegic from my neck down. I'm, you know, I'm an incomplete spinal cord injury. That means that I have feeling all over my body and I can move my legs a little bit and, so it's a very strange, very strange injury. It's not like your typical spinal cord injury. It's very different.

GROSS: It sounds like you feel enough to feel physical pain but you don't have enough feeling to actually be able to move.

Mr. CHESTNUTT: Well, I can move my legs a little bit. I mean I can't walk.

GROSS: Mm-hmm.

Mr. CHESTNUTT: I mean I can walk with a walker, somewhat, but not really functionally. If I fell down I'd never be able to get up.
    Here are some of his thoughts about our healthcare system. I'm sure being "uninsurable" doesn't help keep a person cheery and lookin' on the bright side of life:

GROSS: I read that you're in debt like $50,000 because of health insurance issues.

Mr. CHESNUTT: That's right.

GROSS: So - and this is because you had a series of surgeries and although you pay a lot for your health insurance, it didn't cover all of it. Is that - do I have that right?

Mr. CHESNUTT: That's exactly true, yeah.

GROSS: Uh-huh. So, what are your thoughts now as you watch the health care legislation controversy play out?

Mr. CHESNUTT: Well, I have been amazed and confused by the health care debate. We need health care reform. There is no doubt about it, we really need health care reform in this country. Because it's absurd that somebody like me has to pay so much, it's just too expensive in this country. It's just ridiculously expensive. That they can take my house away for kidney stone operation is -that's absurd.

GROSS: Is that what you're facing the possibility of now?

Mr. CHESNUTT: Yeah. I mean, it could - I'm not sure exactly. I mean, I don't have cash money to pay these people. I tried to pay them. I tried to make payments and then they finally ended up saying, no, you have to pay us in full now. And so, you know, I'm not sure what exactly my options are. I just - I really - you know, my feeling is that I think they've been paid, they've already been paid $100,000 from my insurance company. That seems like plenty. I mean, this would pay for like five or six of these operations in any other country in the world. You know, it affects - I mean, right now I need another surgery and I've putting it off for a year because I can't afford it. And that's absurd, I think.

I mean, I could actually lose a kidney. And, I mean, I could die only because I cannot afford to go in there again. I don't want to die, especially just because of I don't have enough money to go in the hospital. But that's the reality of it. You know, I have a preexisting condition, my quadriplegia, and I can't get health insurance.

GROSS: Is it true you can't get good health insurance?

Mr. CHESNUTT: I can't get - I'm uninsurable. The only reason I have any insurance now is because I was on Capitol Records for a while. And I had excellent health insurance there. And then when I got dropped from Capitol, I Cobra's(ph) my insurance for as long as it was legally possible. And then - and which was insanely expensive to cobra this very nice insurance. And then, when that ran out, the insurance company said they could offer me one last thing and that is hospitalization. It only covers hospital bills. That's all it covers. And it's still $500 a month. So, it doesn't pay for my drugs, my doctors or anything like that. All it pays for is hospitalization. And yet, I still owe all this money on top of that.

GROSS: Wow. Well, I wish you the best with your health and your music. And I really want to thank you?

Mr. CHESNUTT: Thank you.

GROSS: Thanks a lot for talking with us.

Mr. CHESNUTT: Oh, I'm honored, honored beyond belief.
    He performs with Ryan Adams in one of my all-time favorite songs "200 More Miles". They're both playing with the Cowboy Junkies on their "Trinity" CD. I saw them record it on the HDNET channel. I heard they did the whole CD in one take.

Vic was an atheist so wherever he is (if anywhere) I hope he's more content there than he was here.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

God that makes me want to 2-step. His injury sounds a lot like mine. RIP Vic. Well played playing guitar w/ those hands.

This song breaks my heart, it's "Flirted with you all my life". Another talented soul killed by sci and no $$. Seems like he had a death fixation but this time he meant it. What a lyricist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Z-kjr4BLs

So sad. He had quite a gift and a curse.

Here is an interesting tribute-
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/2095...I.P.-1964-2009

It's amazing he could play the guitar as well as he did. It doesn't look like he had any finger movement except maybe his index finger on his left hand. Here's a video I found that's a close up view of him playing guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0qGpzoYj04&feature=fvw
    Renee

I'm not familar with his work as a musician but I enjoyed his work in Slingblade with Billy Bob Thorton. Rip Vic.

RIP. Sad to see a persevering musician and human being with so many challenges leave us.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Fresh Air on NPR had a memorial show about Vic.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...62&m=122311161