Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfe's Christmas Rib Roast

Wolfe's Christmas Rib Roast

We did our traditional slow cooked Rib Roast for Christmas dinner. 9lb-4 bone roast between 5 adults and there was one slice left, so I guess it turned out good! :mrgreen:

More pic's and steps can be found at The Wolfe Pit

Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

I love my beef cooked to that ... a little red. Have no idea how you got the roast to do that! Mine are always well done no matter what I do ... lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I love my beef cooked to that ... a little red. Have no idea how you got the roast to do that! Mine are always well done no matter what I do ... lol.
    Thank you!! Invest in a decent meat thermometer! There are many good ones out there.
    Larry
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    Thank you!! Invest in a decent meat thermometer! There are many good ones out there.
    Jen - And always remember that the temperature will continue to climb after the meat is removed from the heat source.

Larry - You continue to amaze, inspire, and entertain.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Jen - And always remember that the temperature will continue to climb after the meat is removed from the heat source.

Larry - You continue to amaze, inspire, and entertain.

Thank you!

Very good point about the carryover cooking. I had mentioned it in my blog, but this roast continued to cook 5º after it was removed from the oven.
    Larry
    ------

Hey, why roast it so slow/low? Most recipes I've seen for standing rib cook at a higher temp.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    Hey, why roast it so slow/low? Most recipes I've seen for standing rib cook at a higher temp.
    For uniform 'doneness'......if you notice the entire roast is the same medium rare, no grey outter 'well done' edges and a rare center, it's all the same.

Large roasts cook from the outside in, so if you cook it at say 350º-375º, the outside of the roast will obviously be done well before the center will, therefore giving you a well done exterior and a rare to medium rare center.

If you cook it at lower temps, you're basically 'tempering' the meat while it slowly cooks from the outside in. So if you prefer a more done roast, you can simply cook longer while still at the lower temps.
    Larry
    ------

OK, that's interesting. I haven't done a rib roast in a while, but I don't remember overcooked edges - could be though. I make them pretty rare however. I'm looking forward to ours now, I hope it turns out nearly as well as yours

I always cook a 5-6 lb. roast at 325 for 2 and one half to three hours. You will get a more done outside and a perfectly rare inside.

It also helps to take the meat out of refrigeration for a while beforehand and let it get to a more room temterature before beginning cooking. Not long enough to cause spoilage, but long enough to raise the temp of the uncooked meat.

Ours was spectacular as usual, and Icoated the outside with a montreal seasoning.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Aside from the outside being as rare as the middle (sounds good) does the slow roasting affect the taste or texture in any way?

(presume the standard instructions of roast at 325 existed for some reason..)
    Last edited by TAM63; 12-27-2009 at 11:25 AM.