Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough Question: Full frame manual chair for driving?

Question Tough Question: Full frame manual chair for driving?

I'm a C5/6 quad and I have a TiLite Evo with Emotion M15 wheels. This has been a good setup, allowing me to drive my Ford E350 from my chair using the old Qstraint lockdown (the one they had before they duplicated the EZlock). It is time for a new chair because I want to go more compact and mine is falling apart. All of the "full frame" chairs are more in the entry level category. TiLite has discontinued the Evo and now makes the aluminum Aero R, an entry level chair. Quickie still has the GPV which is "fully adjustable" aka entry level. I'd love to go with a TiLite TR or similar, but the only lockdown options I've seen are underneath and would require a crazy custom bracket under the chair. So...

1. Are there any awesome full frame manual chairs?

or

2. Are there any new lockdowns that grab the front bars or don't require an undercarriage bracket?

Thanks!

Justin

Canine Partners of the Rockies
    Children's Global Peace Project

I went thru the same thought process and am replacing my Evo with an Aero-R. I found it was pretty much the best and only chair that would work with the EZ Lock.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

How has the Aero-R been so far? Any complaints?

The Dock-n-Lock system uses a different setup that the EZ Lock pin. I am having it put in my new van for my pc, but I am switching to a Tilite ZR w/magic wheels and plan on welding an add-on loop to work in the Dock-n-Lock on the bottom of my footplate, facing towards the rear more than just hanging straight down. It looks like to be close to the same size diameter tubing. I will have to look at it when I get it in a couple of weeks.

Some say they just drive using only their brakes and that is it.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Thanks Pete, I'd love to see pics of the setup when you get it done!

I just went through some of this same prosess and it is so disheartening looking at the options.

I agree with Pete that I like the looks of the Dock-N-Lock far better than the EZ-Lock, though one has the same issues to deal with.

The lockdown in my van is from the 80's, called a Target, and was only made for a short time from what I understand, but I have always preferd it to the EZL so I have moved it to the various vans I have owned.

I purchased a TiLite TR and had a lackdown bracket made for the chair and I wheelie over the the lockdown. (If one needs split footrests you can do so with the TR with a Designs Unlimited option from TiLite.)

Years back I drove with just brakes on when I received a new chair, until a building stopped me, then I had a lockdown made for the new chair, and a lot of repairs to the van.

Pete, your wording led me to think of something with the D-I-L I hadn't thought of, whether it is what you meant or not. One of the reasons I ruled out the D-I-L because I visualized it in my van and the bracket mounted to my chair and felt the bracket would be too far back, back near my rear axle of the chair and the chair would be tippy. Well, it is possible I could have mounted the lockdown backwards, went over it, and then backed in to lockdown. (I am sure the manufacturer would frown.)

We too thought of adding something to the footrest, but it was already low and not my first choice, though maybe the most convenient.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

How are people going to be able to ride from a chair soon?

Jeeze.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    How are people going to be able to ride from a chair soon?

Jeeze.
    The problem has more to do with the choices of chairs that work with the lockdown options. One can get a chair that works with the lockdowns out there but most of us here wouldn't want those chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    The problem has more to do with the choices of chairs that work with the lockdown options. One can get a chair that works with the lockdowns out there but most of us here wouldn't want those chairs.
    Its like you'll have to self rig everything soon.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Its like you'll have to self rig everything soon.
    Unfortunately I think you are right.